walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Meagaidh Circuit.. A Brocken Spectre

Creag Meagaidh Circuit.. A Brocken Spectre

Postby Coutts94 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:12 pm

Route description: Creag Meagaidh circuit

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Liath (Creag Meagaidh), Creag Meagaidh, Stob Poite Coire Àrdair

Date walked: 05/10/2020

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1080m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So I had been planning this walk for a couple of weeks, but with a miserable forecast I had to wait.. im glad I did!

1.png
The Walk In

Still a little bit of fog at the top but looking good..

Made the walk up to the Crags and Lochan a'Choire, have to say the views here were stunning! could have sat there all day.

2.png
Lochan a'choire

The walk from here then takes a right, heading through "the window". This was rather steep but I think i would rather go up it than down! Again, great views being up close to the crags.

3.png
The Window

Once up, there was a little walk to the junction point to Creag Meagaidh, then another small ascent up to the plateau. I have to mention, once visibility dropped here, this was difficult to navigate :shock: pretty featureless, and you are close to the crags! But once out, I was blessed to see my first Brocken Spectre! I couldnt believe it when I seen it, I know people that are more than half way round the Munro's and still havnt seen one.

4.png
Featureless..
5.jpg
Brocken Spectre

Next was "Mad Megs" Cairn, one of the most impressive cairns I have seen.. But not a Munro.
Would be interesting to know the actual history, I have done some digging but no actual answers.

6.JPG
Mad Megs Cairn..

Then finally Creag Meagaidh! A bit of a lump, but the walk in through the crags makes up for it :D

7.png
Creag Meagaidh from above

It was then on to Munro number 2 for the day.. only takes around 45 minutes so not too bad!

Hard to tell which is the true summit though.. I touched both but think the second one might be? My map wouldn't tell me.

8.png
Stob Poite Coire Ardair
9.png
Stob Poite Coire Ardair

Then on to the final one of the day.. unfortunately the weather came in, wet and foggy. no views but I cant complain as I had amazing views from the other two!

10.png
Carn Liath in the fog

All in all a great day out, the walk out was pretty boggy and slippery, but not too bad. I will no doubt be back here to see the cliffs again - amazing!

If you are interested then I have made a video on the walk, I'm documenting all my Munro's so I can look back and relive them :lol: And if it inspires even one person to get out there and try the route then all the better!

Coutts94
Mountain Walker

Munros:243   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Re: Creag Meagaidh Circuit.. A Brocken Spectre

Postby jmarkb » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:16 pm

Good Brocken Spectre!

Coutts94 wrote:Next was "Mad Megs" Cairn, one of the most impressive cairns I have seen.. But not a Munro.
Would be interesting to know the actual history, I have done some digging but no actual answers.

The story that is repeated in several places online is that is the grave of an 18th century woman who committed suicide and was refused burial in the local churchyard. I've no idea if there is a credible source for this, though.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Re: Creag Meagaidh Circuit.. A Brocken Spectre

Postby Coutts94 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:46 pm

jmarkb wrote:Good Brocken Spectre!

Coutts94 wrote:Next was "Mad Megs" Cairn, one of the most impressive cairns I have seen.. But not a Munro.

The story that is repeated in several places online is that is the grave of an 18th century woman who committed suicide and was refused burial in the local churchyard. I've no idea if there is a credible source for this, though.

Yeah that's the info I seen, some effort if that is true! Dont think I will be camping up there in a hurry :lol:
Coutts94
Mountain Walker

Munros:243   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland