walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mamores 10 - all ten in one day

Mamores 10 - all ten in one day

by grishicles » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:37 pm

Munros included on this walk: Am Bodach, An Gearanach, Binnein Beag, Binnein Mòr, Mullach nan Coirean, Na Gruagaichean, Sgùrr a' Mhàim, Sgùrr Èilde Mòr, Stob Bàn (Mamores), Stob Coire a' Chàirn

Date walked: 19/09/2020

Time taken: 13.5 hours

Distance: 41 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Mamores 10 - all ten in one day

Postby Chrisbull200 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:25 pm

Well done in the walk and with low water levels too!

I've planned to do the same walk and agree with your direction, mentally achievening the tops can be vital. From,leaving the road in Glenn Nevis is the path obvious to get through the trees or was it point of frustration in the early hours?

Thanks
Chris
Chrisbull200

Munros:86   

Postby Wimpie » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:40 pm

Awesome day out. If everything works out well, then i will be attempting the same in 3 weeks. :D
Wimpie
Munro compleatist

Munros:47   Corbetts:1

Postby Colin1951 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:31 pm

Great report about a brilliant ultra day out. Your pictures and narrative brought back my own memories of the Ridge - mainly in late-winter condition - but I always did it in smaller chunks. Bit old to emulate you, now….
Colin1951
Stravaiging

Munros:226   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Postby ridge blunderer » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:17 pm

Great stuff and great photo's. Brings back memories when I did exactly the same walk with my brother in June 1991, one of the most memorable days in the mountains I have had, not least because we saw a Brocken spectre in the dawn cloud :D
ridge blunderer
Munro compleatist

Munros:93   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:75   Islands:12

Postby madmonty » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:21 am

I would still consider myself a newbie at hiking a route of this magnitude, I've only done Mt. Fuji from a mid-elevation station all the way to the summit in approx. 8 hours, but I would like to consider it a challenge for myself when I visit the UK next month. I have to say I loved your account on this post, pretty detailed, good tips, and you started in mid September. That is roughly the same time I want to hiking the Mamores.

This may be a silly question, but do remember overall how fast you were walking/jogging/hiking throughout your route? Would you say it would be close to the Naismith's Rule pace? I ask to overall measure myself in terms of speed because I too want to cover this route within the same timeframe you completed it. And I think your time to start of 5:30 is also very ideal since I would like to finish with some daylight remaining.

Not much of a camper so do you also know if there are 24/7 hour taxi services in Fort William?

I greatly appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you!!
madmonty
Walker

56 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland