walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Five go mad on Meagaidh

Five go mad on Meagaidh

Postby akiggins » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:08 am

Route description: Creag Meagaidh circuit

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaorainn (Glen Spean), Beinn Teallach, Càrn Liath (Creag Meagaidh), Creag Meagaidh, Stob Poite Coire Àrdair

Date walked: 02/10/2020

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 27 km

Ascent: 1740m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I wanted to finish this summer with a big outing. Sat/Sun weather looked rubbish and my mountain biking pal bailed for Friday. The weather was looking very tasty so I I made a late day decision to take the day off work. Having had a great week up in the Fannichs and An Teallach I was feeling a bit gallus and didn't want to drive all the way up to Loch Laggan for a couple of Munros. Creag Meagaidh++ maybe, just to safe I decided to start on Beinn Teallach and finish on Carn Liath so left my bike at Aberarder just in case I bailed after Creag Meagaidh.
5am, Glasgow, bugger, oh well it's not like it's getting darker. Tea'd and coffee'd up I got to Aberarder at 8:45am and dropped off the bike. Drove along to Roughburn and parked the car. Lack of sleep saw me packing and unpacking my rucksack at least three times before I decided I hadn't forgotten everything.
The forest road up is very obvious, but finishes in a bit of a mess.

MuddyPathFromRoughBurn.jpg

After that the heavy machinery has chewed up the moor a bit, so pick a line an head for the corner of the forest on the other side of the burn, where you pick up a good path.

WalkInFromRoughburn.jpg

Follow up to the corner then head up the blunt ridge for what seems like a long way.

PathToEdgeOfWoods.jpg

Taking in the Great Bogs of Scotland, such as Mz Lochaber 2020

BogsOfScotland.jpg

The mist was down so Beinn Teallach was a non-event, so I pluchtered off down the ridge to the bealach. Fortunately the predicted sunshine arrived before me on the way to Beinn a Chaorainn, and after that it was sunshine and gales all the way.

Beinn a Chaorainn.jpg

I was pleased to find that the drop down to the bealach and the subsequent hike up to Creag Meagaidh was not as bad as I'd anticipated and there's a great 4 wheeler track all the way from the bealach to where it meets the fence high up. After that just a plod along to the end of the fence and quickly over to the summit.

Creag Meagaidh.jpg

At this point I thought it was pretty much plain sailing along the ridge to tick off the last two. So, down and up I went.

1toGo.jpg

And down and up and down, and up and down, and up and down, you get the picture. By the last one I was starting to feel a bit juiced, but got their in the end.

5.jpg

A quick plummet back to the the P saw me with just the 8 mile ride back to the car.

So, 5 is doable, if you have two cars, great, but with a bike it works too, even though it's a long day, but my, what a day.
Attachments
Round Of 5.png

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

akiggins
Stravaiging

Munros:173   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Islands:7

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland