walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Drumelzier, just Drumelzier

Drumelzier, just Drumelzier

Postby Justdrums » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:36 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Drumelzier Law

Date walked: 11/10/2020

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 8.6 km

Ascent: 535m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hum'ed and haw'ed over whether to do Dollar Law, Broughton Heights or this and in the end settled on Drumelzier after all. I had previously been up Pykestone. I decided to travel the reverse of the Walkhighlands suggested traverse of Pykestone, Middle and Drumelzier but only go as far as Drumelzier and return the way I came. Well when I got to the top of Drumelzier I could not be bothered walking all the way round again so decided to just head down the shoulder since it was not too steep and the heather was not too big at the top at least.
no-0.jpg
Notice board at start of walk

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

No-1.jpg
Looking towards Drumelzier Law from the track by the burn.

no-2.jpg
From the large rock with a memorial plaque. Looking back towards the mill and walk start.

no-3.jpg
Looking towards Drumelzier from the rock with the memorial plaque

no-4.jpg
Leaving the track and heading up towards Finglen Rig

no-5.jpg
Looking towards Drumelzier Law from the path going up Finglen Rig

no-6.jpg
Trahenna Hill from Finglen Rig path

no-7.jpg
Tinto and Culter Fell from the top of Logan Head

no-8.jpg
Broad Law from Logan Head - you could see the masts and other buildings

no-9.jpg
Drumelzier Law and Middle Hill, I think. you feel like you are in the middle of nowhere but the noise from the A701 is really prominent.

no-10.jpg
The summit cairn of Drumelzier Law looking towards Tinto and Culter Fell.

no-11.jpg
Pykestone Hill from the summit cairn of Drumelzier Law

no-12.jpg
Heading down the shoulder

No-13.jpg
Not much in the way of wild birds round here

When I got back to the car, a local person asked me about a car parked in front of their garage preventing them getting their vehicle out. Not mine I hasten to add. It seems they have a problem with too many cars parking and there's talk of them blocking of the small number of parking spaces beside the sign at the walk start.
Justdrums
Walker

Munros:67   Corbetts:15
Fionas:17   Donalds:50+17
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:18

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland