walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

No lie in in Glen Lyon for Heathers 146.

No lie in in Glen Lyon for Heathers 146.

Postby GillC » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:05 am

Munros included on this walk: Stùcd an Lochain

Date walked: 11/10/2020

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 774m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The forecast for much of Scotland was quite frankly PANTS for the weekend, but after considering various options, we homed in on Stuchd an Lochain in a bid to accompany Heather on a wee outlying Munro (146). The forecast shifted a bit but we decided to head up early Saturday evening for an overnight stop at the dam and an earlyish start on the hill.

After a wander round Killin and an extended wait at the chippy van, we didn't head off from the car park until well after 6:30pm, hopes of putting the tent up in daylight faded as fast as the light itself. :shock:

IMG_20201010_171320_BURST002.jpg
Heather and Lynne skiddling at the Falls of Dochart

The road over towards Bridge of Balgie is in very poor condition but we didn't have too many cars coming the other way and they were easily spotted approaching in the distance with their lights on. Lynne and I were in the camper following Heather, thankfully, Heather remembered to turn off at the Lochs Estate junction and we arrived at the dam around 7:40pm. It was still dry but fairly breezy as we attempted to find a few square feet to pitch my new lightweight tent. Opted for a spot literally next to the cars, fairly bumpy and wet elsewhere.

I had bought the Vango F10 Xenon UL 2 in a bid to cut down on weight for my ML course expedition next week, along with a lighter backpack after our trek into Ossian made me realise i carried way too much weight lol. I had set the poles up in the tent earlier in the week just to get an idea, simple enough , 2 poles, 5 guy lines, no porch footprint so I had taken the banshee footprint to experiment, definitely worth it, otherwise it could get pretty boggy there. I've done some digging and it appears the Xenon footprint only covers the sleeping area so I'm getting a small square sheet to use in future. You can also stand up within the porch footprint area so you can be upright to put your boots on. Great space for 2 packs, boots etc if you are doubling up.

Tent up by 8, just as the rain started. By the time we were in the van pouring the gin, the rain was pouring outside, the rain didn't last long, in fact, the gin lasted longer lol.

IMG_20201010_200906.jpg
Bedtime gin....or 3

Off to bed around 10pm, cosied up with my new sleeping bag liner too, comfy cosy.

Woke properly around 6:30am and decided to nip out for a comfort break before it got light. There was a camper close by and another down at the bridge under the dam and around 7am, more cars were arriving. I nipped to the van to pick up my cooking stuff,,,in and out without disturbing the sleeping beauties hehe.

The angle of the porch door is such that you can clip it in and pull to tie back allowing cooking underneath with great wind protection, Stove sorted, coffee and porridge with a wee biccy under a still starry sky with a bright moon.

IMG_20201011_070402_BURST005.jpg
Coffee on under the stars

IMG_20201011_075649.jpg
Home

IMG_20201011_075050.jpg
Decent sized porch

Packed up my sleeping bag/mat etc and just killed time until Heather and Lynne showed their faces. Struck camp and decanted what i didn't need in the big lightweight bag back into the van.

All sorted and ready for the off at 9am, well, 9:02 after Lynne remembered she hadn't put on her gaiters. rewind,,gaiters on ,, and ready for the off again.

P1080169.JPG
Go!

By now, cars were starting to vie for parking spots, in fact, there was now a van parked where i had been camped on the grass and others arriving every other minute.

I had first climbed this hill with Margaret way back in 2013 and remember having a lot of knee issues after the steep descent so i was wary of this again. Climbing the gate over the bridge and off up through the trees to the dam, we could see people up on the steep section and higher up on the ridge itself.

Nothing to faze you on this hill, a good path, although a little water logged in places, we wandered up, chatting to some people already on their way down to head over to the second Munro. We then questioned why we had carried our lunch etc with us when we would be back at the car at lunchtime lol.

The path across the hill becomes a straight up stream bed but easy progress up to the lesser gradient and the fence line.

P1080172.JPG
Approaching the ridge with the sun making a break through

P1080178.JPG
Striding out towards our goal

P1080177.JPG
Horsing around with the summit off in the distance

The views were great in the middle distance, further out the cloud levels hung a little lower but as we wandered around the majestic ridge, we could see the lower stretches of the Big Bookil and the Glencoe hills.

IMG_20201011_103317.jpg
Heading along the ridge

As we moved on to the summit, these views opened up and we could then see the Aonachs with a cap of snow. Reached the summit in just over 2 hrs of leisurely ambling and horse impressions. Took some pics and found as sheltered a spot as we could in the stiff breeze. 40-45 mins just chatting, soaking up the views. Layered up a bit as the wind was a tad icy.

P1080184.JPG
Summit with the Big Bookil way off in the distance

P1080192.JPG
The snow covered Aonachs and CMD, with Nevis lurking under cloud to the left

P1080185.JPG
Cloud lifting on a zoom shot ovder Rannoch Moor and into Glencoe

P1080187.JPG
Mapping the surrounding hills before heading off the summit

More and more people were approaching the summit as we packed to leave and on looking back down to the ridgeline, there must have been a couple of dozen people visible. Apart from Ben Nevis and Ben Lomond, I don't think I've ever seen so many people on a hill.

Took our time on the descent, the weather was great, just enjoying the day.

The descent down the steep section above the boathouse had been niggling at the back of my mind due to the knee issues on my previous visit. Not to worry though, i nipped down it fairly confidently and with no issues at all. My first visit here was Munro 35, so I'm putting it down to possibly not as hill fit then as I was now. :lol:

P1080193.JPG
On the descent with the dam and cars in the distance.

At various points during the day, we were amazed at the number of cars parked in the area around the dam. I counted over 40 at one point with people and dogs beetling across both hills all morning.

Back to the van and time for a scone and a cuppa while enjoying the views. We had got lucky with the weather as it was not forecast to be this dry for this long, the wind was chilly but otherwise, a great day.

IMG_20201011_140054.jpg
A well earned cuppa and scone

Back to Killin, a wee 5 min chat there before Lynne and I headed South and Heather West.

Thanks to the ladies for a good wee catchup and here's to the next. Now to test my lightweight gear in earnest on my Summer ML course exped next week.
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Re: No lie in in Glen Lyon for Heathers 146.

Postby Quincy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:53 pm

Great report 😀 at least I don’t have to drive that road again!
Quincy
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:45
Fionas:15   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:24   

Re: No lie in in Glen Lyon for Heathers 146.

Postby mrssanta » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:23 pm

Look like you had a lot of fun
Hope the ML expedition goes well.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland