walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bheinn Bhuidhe walk and cycle, beautiful

Bheinn Bhuidhe walk and cycle, beautiful

Postby mrssanta » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:46 pm

Route description: Beinn Bhuidhe, via Glen Fyne

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 13/10/2020

19 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

All you purists who don't approve of cycling to the foot of a Munro are basically wrong about this one! And anyway we had a boat to catch. This hill is ideally set for a "bike and hike" as there is a good tarmac road for several km up Glen Fyne.
We were on our way to Islay to see Granny for the first time since last Christmas. We weren't allowed to stay in her house, due to Covid regulations, but fortunately had been able to borrow a house two doors away for a few days. I was working on Monday morning (due to not having enough holiday left for the full week) so we left Yorkshire in the mid-afternoon aiming for the Stagecoach Inn at Cairndow. We reckoned we needed to get past the Rest and Be Thankful which has been beset by landslides and roadworks this year, even more than usual.
Cairndow Inn had probably the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. The full Scottish breakfast set us up nicely for a day in the hills. We parked up in the car park on the West side of the river Fyne, unpacked the bikes and set off up the glen at about 9.20am. This was a lovely ride despite being into the wind. It's a nice smooth road nearly all the way and it was a fine clear morning with high cloud. The forecast was for the occasional shower but mostly clear with sunshine here and there, although we were told it would be cold and a strong breeze on the tops.
About 40 minutes later we were parking the bikes at the gate where there is a rail provided for the purpose. Following the track through the woods the autumn colours were gorgeous and we were in good spirits.
PA134656.JPG
Track through the woods

PA134662.JPG
Autumn colour

PA134667.JPG
Lichen and moss on an oak tree

After about a kilometre the track reaches Inverchorachan, where you pass the old house and go through a second gate. We followed the WH route turning left straight after the gate and going up the path on the south side of the gorge of Allt na Faing. This was indeed steep, but the sun was shining and there were lovely views.
There are a few hands on bits as you go up, but nothing too difficult. We reached the awkward bit and found it not too bad really. The rock was not slippy, although it looked like it might be, there was a bit of a lack of really reassuring handholds, but good places for your feet and once we went for it we both found it was ok.
PA134668.JPG
toadstool. AKA I need a breather

PA134670.JPG
Looking down Glen Fyne

PA134671.JPG
and up. Ben Oss at the head of the glen

PA134672.JPG
coming up the gorge, heading for this lovely corrie with a big cliff and waterfall at the head

PA134673.JPG
bit further

PA134675.JPG
Looking back

PA134678.JPG
some bright fungus, obviously I need another breather

PA134679.JPG
we're climbing out of the corrie now

PA134684.JPG
crossing a burn where there is a sheltered area where we stopped for a quick snack and drink

At about 530m the path comes out of the corrie and the slope eases considerably. It crosses a recently made hydro track which is a bit of an eyesore but I daresay it will mellow out over the next decade or two. It would be another possible route up and down if you wanted to avoid going up the steep gorge but then you would miss out! The terrain is pretty messy and lumpy but the path finds a nice route up and then you come over a little horizon and there in front of you is a small dip and then about 130m of pretty steep ascent.
PA134687.JPG
views of distant hills opening up now

PA134689.JPG
the sting in the tail now visible

Coming up here was hard work but it was also a treat. After the rain of yesterday the path was running water and the sun was shining behind us and the water was sparkling with glitter from all the little bits of sparkly mud suspended in it. The rocks here are multicoloured and sparkly and the whole effect was magical. I tried a photograph but it didn't work unfortunately.
PA134690.JPG
yes, it's steep

PA134691.JPG
.. but it's a beautiful day..

PA134692.JPG
and the views are tremendous

Reaching the ridge revealed a view over to Cruachan and the pass of Brander. It was windy on the ridge but there was only one small part where eddies of wind made it a little bit of a struggle, mostly it was fine.
We reached the summit around one o'clock and the views from here were just tremendous. We didn't really have time to hang around though, as we had a boat to catch, so we retraced our steps to the bealach where we had arrived on the ridge and stopped here for a brew and quick lunch, out of the wind and in warm sunshine.
PA134694.JPG
and here's Rudolph on the summit, behind him Loch Awe, Cruachan and the Pass of Brander

PA134695.JPG
and me. To my right, Ben Vorlich, then Ben Vane with the long ridge coming towards us, then Ime and friends. Behind them is Ben Lomond

PA134697.JPG
The distinctive twin peaks of Ben More and Stob Binnein with the other Crianlarich hills in front; you can see the long ridges of Cruach Ardrain and an Caisteil

PA134700.JPG
Ben Lui, left, ben Oss right and behind them Mamlorn hills i am not 100% sure which

PA134702.JPG
Happy Mugs waiting for the kettle to boil, with Cruachan and neighbours behind

From here the path continues on the north side of the ridge to another broad and boggy bealach a short distance further on, then we came down the grassy slopes back to Inverchorachan.
PA134703.JPG
the path to the next bealach. Looks a bit wrong but it is right enough

There are traces of path near the top which come and go, then consolidate into a muddy path which takes you across two rather strange stiles with dog gates, and back to the glen floor. It's steep and from time to time there are rocky outcrops that have to be circumvented but no real difficulty here.
PA134709.JPG
lovely colours in the afternoon sunshine

PA134710.JPG
we were pleased to be coming down this way as the gorge was already in shadow

PA134717.JPG
the first of the strange stiles with dog gate

PA134721.JPG
A Local

The walk back to the bikes gave our legs the chance to recover from the steep downhill, and then the ride out on the bikes was fantastic, with the wind behind us it took only twenty minutes! We were in good time to pick up some fish and chips in Tarbert before arriving at Kennacraig for the six o'clock ferry to Islay.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Bheinn Bhuidhe walk and cycle, beautiful

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:15 am

BB is very underrated imo, it’s many years now since I was last there ( in my purist years ) so I walked, took me 8:00 hrs all in. Loved the wee bad step that much I returned the same way.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby jayedubya73 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:33 am

Bheinn Bhuidhe was my 2nd munro and the one that absolutely captured my enthusiasm for this hobby. I loved every minute of the walk, great to see these photos!
jayedubya73
Hill Bagger

Munros:231   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:12+6
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:54 pm

Wonderful autumn colours. Loved the fungus photos too!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:02 pm

Thanks for this - Behind Bhuidhe is a joy still to come - next year now since i live at the other end of the country :lol: Lovely pics.
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby mrssanta » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:25 am

gammy leg walker wrote:BB is very underrated imo, it’s many years now since I was last there ( in my purist years ) so I walked, took me 8:00 hrs all in. Loved the wee bad step that much I returned the same way.

we were so pleased to have a clear day for it. I have noticed that we have got a little slower in recent years, I expect it would have taken us a bit longer than 8 hours!
jayedubya73 wrote:Bheinn Bhuidhe was my 2nd munro and the one that absolutely captured my enthusiasm for this hobby. I loved every minute of the walk, great to see these photos!

Thanks. I thought it was a lovely hill, bit of everything and views in every direction.
HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Wonderful autumn colours. Loved the fungus photos too!

Tim

Thank you, I love a good bit of fungus, and especially since the wild flowers are practically finished.
Huff_n_Puff wrote:Thanks for this - Behind Bhuidhe is a joy still to come - next year now since i live at the other end of the country :lol: Lovely pics.

I hope you get a lovely clear day for it.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

19 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland