walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Borders raid

Borders raid

Postby kmai1961 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:00 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Cape Law, Erie Hill , Garelet Dod

Date walked: 18/10/2020

Time taken: 4.75 hours

Distance: 12.3 km

Ascent: 721m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We met at the t-junction in Tweedsmuir; me coming across on the A701, and Jimmy coming cross-country via St Mary’s Loch and the Megget Stone. The original plan was to leave one car there, although the signage indicated that the large area was meant for timber lorries turning. So we took both cars up to the parking area at the far end of Fruid Reservoir.

at the off

Fruid Reservoir still as glass

initial ascent; follow the line of the forest

looking back down from near the summit

It was a squelchy slog up to Erie Hill; thereafter, things improved. There was a fair bit of up and downing between Garelet Dod, and Din Law, and finally Cap Law (none of which boasted summit markings), but we shortcutted a couple of corners, bypassed Din Law, and traversed around Garelot Dod on our return journey.

a rocky and somewhat steep gully between Garelet Dod and Din Law

toward Hart Fell from Cape Law

summit (Cape Law) selfie

toward White Coomb

It was a nice day—cloudy but dry, with the odd moment of sunshine peeking through. It wasn’t the compleation celebration that we’d tried to make happen on the day (soon, grasshoppa, soon), but it was very good to be out. I seem to easily lose motivation these days.

On my drive home, I took the B719, which cuts across to the M74; from there, the B7076 parallels the motorway to the Elvinfoot junction. The B719 drive was gorgeous—I could see all the way to the Solway Firth, and the autumn colours were stunning. I was home well before dark, after an enjoyable and satisfying outing.
kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:95   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:52   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:39   Islands:24

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland