walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First 2 Munros - Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers

First 2 Munros - Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers

Postby ljduk1 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:16 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers

Date walked: 10/10/2020

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my first every Munro walk and delighted I was going to be able to tick off 2 at once :D

It was a cold, but sunny, autumn day in the car park and all was great up to the first view point about a third of the way up Beinn Ghlas. The wind was picking up and I laughed at my jacket billowing and my walking poles flying horizontally. This should have given me a clue to what lay ahead but we happily set off to next stage.

Got to the summit of Beinn Ghlas without too many issues but visibility was nil, so no lovely views but we at least could see enough to get a photo. I got a fright when I stood up on the stone summit and turned round to find there was nothing but a sheer drop behind me; the mist had hidden the edge and therefore any view. Was happy at reaching summit one but keen to go on and top Ben Lawers.

Walked over the connecting ridge with the wind getting ever stronger and now rain, or almost hail, had joined in and I had to fight to move forward as the wind was catching and pushing me sideways. Maybe I should have turned back at this point but there were lots of other hikers and I figured it was safety in numbers and ploughed on.

I'm not gonna lie, the scramble up the last section to get to the summit was scary in the weather conditions but I could see the Cairn and Trig Point within reach and kept scrambling up. The rocks look like they would be slippy in any conditions, so it was definitely a challenge. I was absolutely delighted that I had reached the top and achieved my 2 Munros. My immediate next thought was, oh no, I have to go back down again, lol!

So happy with my day and reached the car park to full on sunshine again and finished the day with a stop off at the Falls of Dochart on the way home. Great day!
Attachments
IMG_5215.jpg
ljduk1
Mountaineer

Munros:40   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:12   

Re: First 2 Munros - Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers

Postby Sgurr » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:51 pm

Great start to your Munro career. Good luck with the rest.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby ljduk1 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:40 pm

Thank you :D
ljduk1
Mountaineer

Munros:40   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:12   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:42 pm

Well done! - Ben Lawers is a high, exposed summit, so it’s a real achievement to reach it in wet conditions.

Best of luck with the next one!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland