walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Dubh, the Wee Buachaille - More than a Munro.

Stob Dubh, the Wee Buachaille - More than a Munro.

Postby JimboJim » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:50 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 26/08/2020

Time taken: 4.25 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 750m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well, as one might gather, I do have a liking for the Wee Buachaille. My first trip was a nice winter walk -
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=38532
but, this one was to be more memorable for other reasons. Planning for this latest ascent however, goes back a lot further than the day itself. My good mate, Andy was in recovery following serious heart surgery. When I say serious, I mean real serious :shock: He is an outdoors lad and enjoys his walking. He fancied doing a Munro to mark his first anniversary from leaving hospital and sensing the opportunity for a ploy, I was only too happy to offer to help him out and bring along some friends and family to join the fun.

Alas, the relaxation of Covid restrictions didn't quite come in time. Back to the drawing board, with smaller numbers in mind. Fortunately, Andy was still up for doing a hill and suggested an alternative date, to mark the loss of his sister at an early age and the passing one year earlier of his great pal, Micheal Todd, a much loved young man from Mid Argyll, taken way too early.

Another good pal, Dochie was also signed up for the hike. Nearing the appointed day, we learned that Michael's widow, Barbara and three lovely daughters coincidentally were also going to climb Ben Lomond, in memory of Michael, so we were delighted when they switched to join us, along with Carol, Andy's fiancée of many (too many!) moons :D ........ and daughter, Ellie.

Come the day, a fleet of cars headed for Glencoe, a bit too early in the morning for my liking. The forecast had been looking good, but this was to be another day (like a few others this year) where I was left muttering disappointingly about the Met Office, with plenty mist and rain for much of our trip :(
SD1.jpg
And off they go! The summit seems a long way off in the distance.

Anyway, that didn't deter the company, as the youngsters were quickly out the traps and on their way, with the oldsters eagerly chasing behind for at least five minutes, but soon getting stretched out, when the gradient began to increase.
SD2.jpg
The bodach's holding everyone up :)

After a while, poor Carol had hit the wall. Little did we know that she was actually coming down with a chest infection :shock: It seemed sensible to agree to her suggestion to retire to the car.
SD3.jpg
Heading up to the bealach.

About this time, it was also clear the pace and steep gradient was hitting Andy quite hard. I thought it was rain at first, but it turned out to be sweat, as Andy's pulse soared north toward his favourite darts score - one hundred and ayyyytayyy! :lol: A couple of rest periods didn't make much difference. It was plain we were just going too fast, which was soon rectified with some age-old advice - "go at yer own speed!"

Remarkably, well below us, Carol who had been sitting resting, had started to make moves upwards, perhaps just wanting to tell her man to get his finger oot :lol: As we were now moving slower, I dropped back a bit to keep her company, giving her a bit of encouragement, to see how she felt about going on and soon we were on the tail of the others, well, the older others, the girls by now nearly vanishing into the fog :D
SD3a.jpg
Barbara and her bonny lassies.

Much to my relief the lassies seemed to be (mostly) enjoying it, other than the occasional skite on the bum :) and they payed due attention to advice to wait for us at the bealach. I was fair disappointed there were no views for the others to enjoy.
SD4.jpg
A glimpse of the summit, Stob Dubh, 956m.

After a wee check to assess things, everyone was good to keep going though there might have been the quietest wee groan that the next top was not THE top :lol: A wee bit of psychology always helps though and soon we were moving along the ridge, enjoying the easier going if not the views.
SD5.jpg
Along the ridge to the summit.
SD6.jpg
Last wee bit to the top.

A few words to be a bit careful on the last climb weren't needed and soon we were all on the summit. Everyone was rightly pleased with their efforts, mostly doing their first Munro! Brilliant, especially the courage to keep going when the going got tough!
SD7.jpg
Well chuffed!
SD8.jpg
The young team.
SD9.jpg
Well done!
SD9a.jpg
A small tribute to close friends and family taken from us way too soon.
SD9b.jpg
A quick pic of Team Hardcore :)

Of course, there was a deeper reason to our expedition. I could only imagine the emotions everyone else was feeling, as we paid our own wee tributes to Michael Todd, Jenny Thirlaway, Mark O'Prey, Tommy Welch and others we had lost recently. I had my own thoughts about a previous visit here, hence why this hill will always be special for me. https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54379

After a few photo's and some grub, we set off on the way down, by which time it was starting to clear a bit. Met a few folk, in fact, quite a lot of folk now heading up. Andy and Dochie, who had moved ahead could perhaps have went on and done Stob Coire Raineach, but not being sure of themselves just went down from the bealach.
SD10.jpg
Heading off the summit.
SD11.jpg
Back along the ridge.

I enjoyed my bleathers with Barbara, who's knees were beginning to niggle, ok giving her absolute gyp! There's nothing like a steep descent to grind the knee joints, as I have found out myself recently.
SD12.jpg
The steep drop down from the bealach.
sd13.jpg
Down to the Pass of Glencoe.

Anyway, we weren't too far behind the rest of the crew, who were by now getting eaten alive by the midges :lol: It was that bad, Andy set off back up the hill to try it again :lol: I can't mind exactly our time, but I think we were about 4-4.5 hrs or, so between us.

It was heartening to hear the enjoyment and enthusiasm coming from others, so hopefully won't be the last time. Nothing remained, but to retire to the Kingshouse for a braw meal and of course, the obligatory pint, before hitting the road home. Thanks for a memorable day out folks!
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Re: Stob Dubh, the Wee Buachaille - More than a Munro.

Postby R1ggered » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:56 pm

Great effort bye all. :clap:
R1ggered
Mountain Walker

Munros:175   

Re: Stob Dubh, the Wee Buachaille - More than a Munro.

Postby JimboJim » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:52 am

R1ggered wrote:Great effort bye all. :clap:

Thanks, R1ggered. One gets a lot of satisfaction climbing any hill, but it is just as satisfying seeing others achieve their goal.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland