walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall nan Tarmachan - under "sun and blue skies"

Meall nan Tarmachan - under "sun and blue skies"

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:18 pm

Route description: The Tarmachan Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Meall nan Tarmachan

Date walked: 16/10/2020

Distance: 6.3 km

Ascent: 630m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Feeling quite exhausted from the previous two days' exertions, even after an 11 hour sleep, I decide to return home a day early, and just visit one hill today.

I pack up my tent in a leisurely fashion, then drive down to Blair Atholl to get some internet reception so that I can see what the forecast is in different places.

And, joy of joy, it's showing pure sun all day over towards the West. I missed Meall nan Tarmachan when I walked the Ben Lawers hills, and I've been wanting to walk the ridge for a long time. Checking the forecast for the hill itself, I see that it's also showing clear sky and sun all day - brilliant!

I get a little uneasy on the hour's drive there as I see all the hills shrouded in cloud. But they can't have got it completely wrong when we're only talking about an hour or so ahead??? Right???

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Sadly, unbelievably, when I get there, the entire Lawers group is clag-bound from about 850m :( .

Still, now I'm here, I might as well set off - it may - may - clear as the day wears on...

Image20201016-114839. Looking up towards Tarmachan...

...and initially the clag does look as if it might clear.

Image20201016-114908.

But this was pretty well the highest it got.

Image20201016-115920. Still, the views from the lower levels are some compensation. This is looking NE towards Loch na Lairige.

Image20201016-115943. Same, zoomed a bit. Brings back fine memories of my Lawers/Glen Lyon walk, albeit I enjoyed much better weather on that occasion.
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=55039

Image20201016-124648. It's a steady (= unrelenting!) steepish climb. As I approach the south east summit, I hit the clag.

Image20201016-131050.
False summit cairn. After this is a short steep pull of around 100m to the summit

...which is throughly clag bound. I don't hang about, and head straight back the way I came.

Image20201016-133820. The cloud base is now just below 900m. Loch Tay comes into view.

Image20201016-135651. Looking back from the car park, I still don't see any blue sky or sun....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland