walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Merrick and Shalloch Circuit- an alternative route

Merrick and Shalloch Circuit- an alternative route

Postby MtnGoat » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:15 pm

Route description: The Merrick via Loch Valley, from Glen Trool

Corbetts included on this walk: Merrick, Shalloch on Minnoch

Donalds included on this walk: Kirriereoch Hill, Merrick, Shalloch on Minnoch, Tarfessock

Date walked: 10/10/2020

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1300m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was looking for an alternative route to cover the Merrick and Shaolloch and took inspiration from this report: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=69051 , although I definitely didn't have things as good with the conditions.....

A circuit that combines the Merrick and Shalloch on Minnoch, starting from Kirrieroch Loch. Corbett bagging round that also covers Benyellary, Kirrieroch Hill, Tarfessock on the loop.

The route covers a combination of gravel Galloway Forest logging tracks and links some parts of well established hillwalking routes, however a significant part of the loop covers pathless and wild terrain that will be challenging going in wet conditions. A link to the GPS link is below.

My take-aways…. Don’t attempt this after a lot of wet weather- in fact, I would target this hike for the winter when there is a hard frost and solid base. The walk through the forest is extremely hard walking due to the large tuffets that cover around about a mile of open ground. As can be see from my issues crossing the burn at the bottom of the Shaolloch on Minnoch… this is another reason to be mindful of rain levels.

An awesome and quiet route that feels remote for large periods. I thought that this video would be helpful to give an overview of the terrain :silent: :shock: ONE FOR WINTER!

Attachments

Merrick & Shalloch circuit.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

MtnGoat
Mountain Walker

Re: Merrick and Shalloch Circuit- an alternative route

Postby sarahk99 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:37 pm

Amazing looking walk!
Really calm and mesmerizing
sarahk99
Backpacker

Re: Merrick and Shalloch Circuit- an alternative route

Postby MtnGoat » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:15 pm

Thanks. I definitely fancy looking at a few alternative routes around galloway this winter. It's easy to forget about the Galloway hills, but the whole area is awesome (albeit a different awesome in comparison to the highlands!)
MtnGoat
Mountain Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland