walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

From all we had read not as bad as expected

From all we had read not as bad as expected

Postby dogplodder » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:35 pm

Route description: Speyside Way 4: Ballindalloch to Grantown-on-Spey

Date walked: 10/08/2020

Distance: 23 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

User reports on this section aren't very encouraging. Parts of it are variously described as difficult, disgraceful and dangerous. I related this news to Moira and we talked about what to do. One option would be to skip this section altogether, but if we did that we wouldn't have completed the Speyside Way. The other option was to go for it and adapt as we went along. We were after all doing this for pleasure and if we weren't enjoying it we could do as others had done and bail out to the A95.

It being August, travel restrictions had been lifted and for a short time we were car sharing. So Pete offered to drop us off in Ballindalloch and meet us in Cromdale. We'd done the Cromdale to Grantown bit just before lockdown, which shortened what was left to do. The time I gave Pete for when we'd hopefully reach Cromdale was based on the WH time, but we took longer than my prediction, which is the main reason we ended up doing what we did.

The sky was overcast as we started off along the line of the old railway, passing the old Ballindalloch station. So no photos of that part. When the line of the railway is blocked by a fence the SSW turns sharp left and climbs through trees to more open views, with fences on either side.

The story is that when the Speyside Way was opened in 1981 the landowner of this part of the old railway line had refused permission to go over his land. Something to do with revenue from fishing, which is a shame as walkers wouldn't have affected fishing any more than in other parts where fishing is happening. So the route had been forced away from the line of the old railway up over farmland which is at times awkward and gives the feeling walkers are more tolerated than welcomed.

The waymarkers and chain gates are helpful but we were also grateful for the detailed instructions from Paul and Helen Webster on this next section of the way. So as always thanks to them for their input.

Corridor of heather and fences
IMG_9869c.JPG

Purple hills of Cromdale
IMG_9871c.JPG

Nor sure where this was but the photos are in order taken so must be early on
IMG_9873.JPG

Right turn here
IMG_9874.JPG

IMG_9876.JPG

Another sign
IMG_9877c.JPG

Gated footbridge
IMG_9878.JPG

Just before a chain gate on to a path along the edge of a wood we sat on a grassy bank and had a leisurely lunch with a nice view back along the Spey valley.

We went through dozens of these chain gates
IMG_9879c.JPG

Hills now closer
IMG_9881.JPG

IMG_9882.JPG

I can't remember where it was in relation to my photos but part of the way goes along the side of a burn on an uneven traverse of a slanting bank involving tree roots, rocks and the like. It runs parallel to a fence on the other side of which is a good level track. I assumed it wasn't going where we were going but it did and we eventually joined it. While I wouldn't describe the path along the burn as dangerous, I wonder what the thinking is to make folk do that when there's a better alternative just over the fence?

Patchwork quilt fields
IMG_9883c.JPG

Patchwork closer up
IMG_9884c.JPG

IMG_9885c.JPG

Another sign and chain gate
IMG_9886.JPG

IMG_9887.JPG

Stepping stones over boggy field
IMG_9888.JPG

IMG_9890.JPG

Back on 10th March when the UK was starting to waken up to the threat from Covid19 we had walked the section from Cromdale to Grantown. That day Pete dropped us off in Cromdale and drove to Grantown where he spent a pleasant half hour in the Grant Arms Hotel with a cup of tea and scone before walking back to meet us. So I assumed that's what he would have done again, except that the Grant Arms wasn't serving non residents and he'd been sitting in the car in Cromdale for an hour already.

When we reached a footbridge over a burn I looked at the map and realised our route was about to go uphill again and along a muddy forest track. This was another part of the route that got a bad press (probably worse than the first) so with being behind schedule and Pete already waiting it wasn't too difficult to decide what to do. We followed the track down through the farm to the main road and continued along the grass verge, which we figured would be quicker than going uphill again.

Baled out by that farm - see what I did there?
IMG_9891.JPG

After 20 minutes of walking along the grass verge I let Pete know where we were and he drove the short distance from Cromdale to meet us. If he hadn't been waiting I'm sure we'd have completed this section, even if only out of curiosity as to what was so wrong with it! But in the circumstances it was the right thing to do and as Moira said we can always come back sometime to finish what we missed. Maybe.

So now for the undisputably lovely part from Cromdale to Grantown - and it's interesting to see how much better the light was in March than in August for taking photos.

Keira keen to get going
IMG_9028c.JPG

Cromdale station
IMG_9026c.JPG

Cromdale Old Kirk and a stately pine
IMG_9029.JPG

Bridge over the Spey
IMG_9032.JPG

Church from other side
IMG_9037c.JPG

Checking the route
IMG_9039c.JPG

Not that we needed to
IMG_9040c.JPG

On we go
IMG_9041c.JPG

Sprinkling of snow on Cromdale hills
IMG_9042c.JPG

The twisted pine
IMG_9045c.JPG

Another view back to Cromdale hills
IMG_9047.JPG

Seat for a photo
IMG_9051c.JPG

Grantown golf clubhouse
IMG_9053.JPG

Anagach woods, habitat to endangered capercaillie
IMG_9054c.JPG

Grantown golf course
IMG_9056c.JPG

Grantown main street
IMG_9057.JPG

Our overall verdict on the Ballindalloch to Grantown part of SSW?

Admittedly we skipped the arguably worst part but we enjoyed it and wondered if the expectation of long distance 'way walkers' is different from that of 'hill walkers' who are used to difficult and lumpy terrain. We certainly wouldn't discourage anyone from doing this section and if concerned about areas of rough, slippy, muddy ground, you could take a pair of poles like we did.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: From all we had read not as bad as expected

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:04 am

Thanks for posting - gives me something to read at silly AM :lol:

I was surprised by the impression you had of this section of the Speyside Way based on reports you had read so had another read to see what my thoughts were back in 2012 (8 years ago - was it really that long ago :shock: :shock: :shock: ) and it seemed to be more frustration with the fairly regular stop start style of walking due to all the gates. Eight years on from that walk (which was just my 2nd long distance walk) I'm now much more accepting of restrictions when walking through farmland.

Reading my report from 2012 reminded me about the two add-ons I included (Ballindalloch - Tomintoul and a Craigellachie - Dufftown - Craigellachie Loop) - both are worth doing, especially the walk over to Tomintoul.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby dogplodder » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:27 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Thanks for posting - gives me something to read at silly AM :lol:

I was surprised by the impression you had of this section of the Speyside Way based on reports you had read so had another read to see what my thoughts were back in 2012 (8 years ago - was it really that long ago :shock: :shock: :shock: ) and it seemed to be more frustration with the fairly regular stop start style of walking due to all the gates. Eight years on from that walk (which was just my 2nd long distance walk) I'm now much more accepting of restrictions when walking through farmland.

Reading my report from 2012 reminded me about the two add-ons I included (Ballindalloch - Tomintoul and a Craigellachie - Dufftown - Craigellachie Loop) - both are worth doing, especially the walk over to Tomintoul.

Should have read your report.... Where can I find it? :think:
dogplodder

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:33 pm

Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby dogplodder » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:42 pm

Thanks Gordie, that's a good report and I don't know how I missed it. They've gone and opened two more stages of the SSW since you did it (Aviemore to Kincraig and Kincraig to Newtonmore) - so that's some more of your winter walking sorted out for you. :lol:
dogplodder

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland