walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Udlaidh and Beinn Bhreac-liath

Beinn Udlaidh and Beinn Bhreac-liath

Postby SecondRow » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:11 pm

Route description: Beinn Udlaidh and Beinn Bhreac-liath, Glen Orchy

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Bhreac-liath, Beinn Udlaidh

Date walked: 26/10/2020

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 12.6 km

Ascent: 936m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Udlaidh and Beinn Bhreac-liath26102020.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I had my eye on this one for a while, probably could have picked a better day weatherwise, but was still a good day out.

I rendezvoused with the other 2 at the start point and opted to do the route clockwise. I suspect this was a good choice, both ends of the walk are pretty steep, but this way might be marginally less painful. Annoyingly I forgot my camera, thus the lack of pictures.

There is now a good forestry track that extends from the white cottage and allows a bit of boggy ground to be bypassed and some elevation to be gained before starting the slog up the hillside. Once past the 700m or so the route flattens out and it was easy walking to the summit of Beinn Bhreac-liath. The new deer fence was negotiated fairly easily in the end.

The cloud cleared a bit descending to the bealach, before making the second ascent of the day to Beinn Udlaidh. The high point on the dyke and the cairn were both visited to be on the safe side, before making a quick descent to try and maximize the daylight. The final part along the forestry track was done with head torches in the dark, trying to avoid the muddier parts.

E1842F01-E21B-4AE7-974E-61779A50CE30.jpeg
SecondRow
Walker

Munros:96   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:34
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland