walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Malky and the mystery of the Pink Map

Malky and the mystery of the Pink Map

Postby Jaxter » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:29 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Meallach Mhòr

Date walked: 09/08/2020

Time taken: 2.1 hours

Distance: 5.32 km

Ascent: 382m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Over the last month or so we've noticed that although I'm struggling with hill-walking, I seem to be able to do much more on the bike. So we came up with the idea of hills where I can take some of the ascent on the bike. Malky suggested Meallach Mor - a relatively remote Corbett which is accessed down by a long estate road which not only is cycleable, but also reaches almost 400m, leaving the remaining ascent at a level I ought to be able to manage, on a Good Day.

This particular Sunday turned out to be a Good Day. We drove the short distance to Kingussie and as there is nowhere to park at Tromie Bridge, turned up the steep road just past it where there are lots of places to leave a car. There was the odd midge around...

The impressive falls at Tromie Bridge (we had cycled past here on a route between Aviemore and Kingussie about 18 months ago, but the weather hadn't been quite so good that day!)

And off we went, cycling down Glen Tromie. Malky had said that the first few hundred metres were a track, then it was tarmac the whole way. As it turns out...either he's spouting his usual level of bullsh*t, or the tarmac had been removed. The first 6.5km were on a bumpy track, and the tarmac didn't appear until the very out of place looking house (that looks more like it belongs in a council estate in the suburbs!)

The scenery was lovely though 8)

Eventually our hill came into view - Meallach Mhor, another big heathery mess :lol:

We pottered around trying to spot a good way onto the hill, before concluding that there wasn't one. We locked the bikes to a fence next to some lovely waterfalls and decided it was lunchtime and that we should have at least some of our lunch here (it would save carting it up the hill afterall :lol: )

Once we had eaten, we had run out of excuses not to go and play in the heather :lol: I collected my boots from Malky's pannier (he has his uses!) and off we went....climbing up a hillside and finding....a loch?! :lol:

This loch wasn't marked on Malky's Pink Map (few things are - I wonder what the point is of a map that doesn't actually have anything useful on it :crazy: ) When consulting the Orange Map later, I found that the loch was marked on that :lol:

Malky contemplating the point of Pink Maps

We spotted what looked like an ATV track and made for that - it did help, and although it was fairly faint it helped us gain a far bit of ground

As we gained height we started to see the Gaick Pass - I'd only seen this from the other side with Colin on a Corbett expedition a while back; another day where cycling without padded shorts proved to be a bad idea :roll:

The hills across the A9 starting to appear - I think this is Geal-Charn Mor

The ATV track disappeared and dumped us into a large pile of heather...I wasn't very happy about this (although I couldn't say I hadn't been warned on this occasion :lol: ) so we just battered through it, and were rewarded with the Gaick Pass and also a bit of a path which seemed to be there to aid access to grouse butts

As much as I was thrilled to see a path, the ground was mostly much easier to walk on here with shorter heather. We tried to follow it though, and were hoping it might aid the descent as well!

Creag Meagaidh in the distance

Loch an t-Seilich and the Gaick Pass

Now we were on better ground, the final ascent was much easier, although I was still knackered when I reached the top. It was quite windy too, which made Jaxtering very amusing for Malky :lol:

The views across to the Cairngorms were fabulous 8)

Braeriach, Sgurr an Lochain Uaine and Cairn Toul

Cairn Gorm

Across the A9 - we had a lengthy discussion about these hills. I remember being right, but not what I was right about :lol:

Leathad an Taobhainn - another relatively obscure Corbett that might be doable with the aid of a bike

The Cairngorms

We decided to be Hobbits and have a 2nd lunch, or afternoon tea, consisting of the remains of lunch, and the usual huge quantity of food that Malky always seems to need to bring on every expedition :roll:

Eventually we realised that we had Mummy and Daddy Clark to feed when we got back, and quite a long way to get there, so we headed off following the path initially, before losing it and then refinding it again :lol:

A last look at the Gaick Pass, and unfortunately the path petered out, leaving us in the middle of a pile of heather :crazy:

Malky still wondering why he's spent all his money on Pink Maps when he should have bought Orange ones :lol:

The loch that Doesn't Exist (except it does :lol: )

Meallach Bheag, which does appear to have an ATV track up the side of it - we were tempted to go that way, but then realised I was tired and went for the quickest route down, rather than the most interesting!

We fought our way through the heather before picking up another very faint ATV track

This led us past a memorial cairn

"What's the point of a map without things on it?!" Malky still wonders to himself...

So much heather

We did pick up bits of our outward ATV tracks, before veering off through some bog in a (failed) effort to make things easier...

And relief...the road!

We pulled some heather off our socks and relaxed for a few minutes before getting back on the bikes. The first section along the tarmac was a joy - and the views of Glen Tromie were lovely 8)

Malky working out if Pink Maps make good kindling...

The last 6km were a bit rougher, although at least largely downhill, and we were relieved to be back at the car. As it turned out we still got back to the house before Mr and Mrs Malky :lol:

On the bike: 22.45km, 191m ascent, 1 hour 45 mins
Attachments

Meallach_mor.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

activity_5360449692.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Malky and the mystery of the Pink Map

Postby jmarkb » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:19 pm

That looks like a nice day out! I think you just need to buy Malky a new pink map for Xmas - it should have the loch on it, and the track going to the col between Meallach Mhor and Meallach Bheag from Bhran Cottage, though, oddly, not the trees!

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 17.09.03.png
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:09 pm

Jaxter wrote:Leathad an Taobhainn - another relatively obscure Corbett that might be doable with the aid of a bike
Definitely - if I can manage it, you two would find it a breeze. A few years back, I had a trip down Glen Feshie for the four corbetts and was able to cycle to just south of Meall an Uillt Chreagaich before walking on to Leathad an Taobhain and Beinn Bhreac. After leaving the bike, Leathad an Taobhain was only about anther 1km and 150m ascent approx.

Jaxter wrote:There was the odd midge around...
Wondered how malky reacted to being called an "odd midge" :wink: :wink:

Had a look at my "pink map" and it also doesn't have the loch - it is dated 1995 though
27.10.2020.JPG

Great day for it - I always like the view down the Gaick Pass - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby dogplodder » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:33 pm

You got a nicer day than we got, though sounds like it was equally windy. It was a challenge standing still for a photo at the top - never mind jaxtering! We found a path going down from the bealach to Bhran Cottage which might have made life easier, had it appeared on your pink or orange map. :lol:

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=71112

Sorry about your ongoing effects of covid. I'm finding ascent harder than I've ever done since having a query dose of covid back in March. A vicious virus right enough. :o
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby mrssanta » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:08 am

I'm entirely with you on the pink map/orange map discussion.
Such lovely photos, and what a bind to be still suffering - take care!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:30 pm

rockhopper wrote:Had a look at my "pink map" and it also doesn't have the loch - it is dated 1995 though

Out of pure curiosity, I checked mine, from 2004, and the loch is not marked :roll: "The vanishing loch" - a case for Sherlock Holmes! :lol: :lol:

We climbed Meallach Mhor in late January this year, not much snow on the ridge but back then we had hoped it was a great start to a great 2020... Oh how wrong we had been.
There used to be a substantial cairn on the summit (as I remember from our previous visit in 2013) but it must have been dismantled by some mountain vandals...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Graeme D » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:40 pm

Nowt wrong with pink maps. They just leave a little more up to the imagination! :lol: Love that area between Glen Tromie and Glen Feshie. 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Sgurr » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:49 pm

There are all sorts of things NOT on pink maps that ought to be, the most egregious is the track that goes up towards Beinn Sgulaird from Druim a Vuic and then goes south of the summit, which isn't on the pink map at all, but as it is a wide drivable (by ATV) track should DEFINITELY be there. Have emailed O/S pointing this sort of thing out, and their reply is always on the lines of "Yes, you are right, it should be on the Landranger Map, we will alter it in the data base, and next time we do a new edition it will be on it. We currently have no plans for a new edition." Therefore orange map is better, but I have got so used to knowing what I can do on pink map (and it looks shorter) that I prefer it.

Loch should definitely be on pink IMO.

R is absolutely not back to normal after Covid, but it was the long stay in hospital that eroded his muscle and meant his already dodgy knee wasn't supported. He also has a tendency to fall asleep at the computer, but I think that is called "Being 80" and nothing to do with the Covid. What a pain it is turning out to be. I thought "At least you and he will be immune" and now we learn that the immunity can wear off. The opposite of a win win.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:06 am

A nice read, and views of an area I didn't really know existed!

I had a similar sort of discussion with Malky on the subject of the usefulness - or otherwise - of 1:50000 maps - which he was using on the walk we did when the subject arose. I hadn't realised he'd graduated on to pink maps....

Really sorry to hear that you're still suffering the ongoing effects of your covid bout. I guess that's unfortunately somewhat in line with the general post-viral fatigue incidence (+150,000 in UK at any one time, it seems). The positive side is that it appears that in most cases of general post-viral fatigue, sufferers do recover. Not much consolation when you're in the middle of it, though... :(
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby apollo0815 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:05 pm

Finally a new jaxterized report, as usual a very nice read with great photos, thank you very much for it!

As for map confusion: My personal favourite was a german guy whom we met on a walk in middle Mull, near Carn Cul Righ Albainn on a foggy day, who did ask us if we knew the right way to the summit of Ben More. my very astonished question if he was NOT carrying a map, while walking through fog on a remote hillside, he told us: Yes I have one, bit Ben More is not on it. :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll:

After inspecting his map, I was able to indicate, that maybe looking on the backside of that map could be an option.............
We tried to convince him to come with us down the valley to Loch Ba, back to civilization, because his abilities were obviously limited....but to no avail. I do not know if he arrived somewhere...
apollo0815
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:4

Postby litljortindan » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:34 pm

Well done, looks a lovely area, big heathery messes aside.
Could that memorial be a memorial to all those who visited relying on their oink map?
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Jaxter » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:30 pm

rockhopper wrote:
Jaxter wrote:Leathad an Taobhainn - another relatively obscure Corbett that might be doable with the aid of a bike
Definitely - if I can manage it, you two would find it a breeze.

Jaxter wrote:There was the odd midge around...
Wondered how malky reacted to being called an "odd midge" :wink: :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Will look out Leathad an Taobhainn next time I have a good day :)

dogplodder wrote:You got a nicer day than we got, though sounds like it was equally windy. It was a challenge standing still for a photo at the top - never mind jaxtering! We found a path going down from the bealach to Bhran Cottage which might have made life easier, had it appeared on your pink or orange map. :lol:

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=71112

Sorry about your ongoing effects of covid. I'm finding ascent harder than I've ever done since having a query dose of covid back in March. A vicious virus right enough. :o

Sorry to hear you're struggling too - it's a nasty one for a lot of people - as we are finding out, more so than anyone realised as some of the worst affected long term were people who never appeared on "official" stats as they weren't hositalised :shock: I hope things improve for you!

mrssanta wrote:I'm entirely with you on the pink map/orange map discussion.
Such lovely photos, and what a bind to be still suffering - take care!

Yass - an ally!! Thankyou!

BlackPanther wrote:
rockhopper wrote:Had a look at my "pink map" and it also doesn't have the loch - it is dated 1995 though

Out of pure curiosity, I checked mine, from 2004, and the loch is not marked :roll: "The vanishing loch" - a case for Sherlock Holmes! :lol: :lol:

We climbed Meallach Mhor in late January this year, not much snow on the ridge but back then we had hoped it was a great start to a great 2020... Oh how wrong we had been.
There used to be a substantial cairn on the summit (as I remember from our previous visit in 2013) but it must have been dismantled by some mountain vandals...

Interesting! Sounds like we may not be the only people to have been surprised by it :lol: Yes, just a big pile of rubble now - who knows if it's destruction was natural or not (another case for Sherlock "black panther" holmes? :lol: )

Graeme D wrote:Nowt wrong with pink maps. They just leave a little more up to the imagination! :lol: Love that area between Glen Tromie and Glen Feshie. 8)

But Malky doesn't have an imagination!! :lol:

Sgurr wrote:There are all sorts of things NOT on pink maps that ought to be, the most egregious is the track that goes up towards Beinn Sgulaird from Druim a Vuic and then goes south of the summit, which isn't on the pink map at all, but as it is a wide drivable (by ATV) track should DEFINITELY be there. Have emailed O/S pointing this sort of thing out, and their reply is always on the lines of "Yes, you are right, it should be on the Landranger Map, we will alter it in the data base, and next time we do a new edition it will be on it. We currently have no plans for a new edition." Therefore orange map is better, but I have got so used to knowing what I can do on pink map (and it looks shorter) that I prefer it.

Loch should definitely be on pink IMO.

R is absolutely not back to normal after Covid, but it was the long stay in hospital that eroded his muscle and meant his already dodgy knee wasn't supported. He also has a tendency to fall asleep at the computer, but I think that is called "Being 80" and nothing to do with the Covid. What a pain it is turning out to be. I thought "At least you and he will be immune" and now we learn that the immunity can wear off. The opposite of a win win.

I've always wondered how they decide which tracks/paths to put on pink maps. It seems a bit random! Sorry to hear R is still suffering too. Has he had an antibody test? I did one a few weeks ago (they were offering them to people working in education in Scotland as part of a research project) and it came back negative. Not surprising after 8 months but still a bit disappointing and scary!

Alteknacker wrote:A nice read, and views of an area I didn't really know existed!

I had a similar sort of discussion with Malky on the subject of the usefulness - or otherwise - of 1:50000 maps - which he was using on the walk we did when the subject arose. I hadn't realised he'd graduated on to pink maps....

Really sorry to hear that you're still suffering the ongoing effects of your covid bout. I guess that's unfortunately somewhat in line with the general post-viral fatigue incidence (+150,000 in UK at any one time, it seems). The positive side is that it appears that in most cases of general post-viral fatigue, sufferers do recover. Not much consolation when you're in the middle of it, though... :(

We seem to have a sort of compromise, where he has the pink map and I usually check out an orange before we go (benefit of both but without me having to carry anything :lol: )
yeah the Long Covid thing is definitely picking up speed - thousands affected. Good to see that there is a bit more acknowledgement of it now.

apollo0815 wrote:Finally a new jaxterized report, as usual a very nice read with great photos, thank you very much for it!

Thankyou - I've not bothered putting out a lot of reports recently as Malky with his smaller photo size and more energy usually gets there first :lol:

litljortindan wrote:Well done, looks a lovely area, big heathery messes aside.
Could that memorial be a memorial to all those who visited relying on their oink map?

I think you are probably right :lol: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland