walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie - a magic day

Ben Chonzie - a magic day

Postby 2dalmatians » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:43 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 26/02/2011

Time taken: 4.8 hours

Distance: 14.4 km

Ascent: 931m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First munro of 2011 - 3rd attempt (Ben Lomond X, Cruach Ardrain X)!! Hip hip hooray!!

Was watching MWIS all week, it was looking positive. Decision time Friday night - head east to Ben Chonzie or West to Cruach Ardrain again??

Decided East was the best bet to get any decent weather and for once my decision making was spot on :lol:

We arrived at Glen Lednock at around 9am. The "we" being Ruby my usual co walker and the big boy Zippy our Basset Hound. He doesnt come on the munro's very often as his nose means we are forever waiting for him to catch up, however he had'nt had a decent walk all week so I thought we could cope with a slower pace today.

P2260099.JPG
The pups ready to go!

The path is fairly straight forward and the walk description on WH is excellent, however there is a path going right just after the 2nd gate. Dont take this path. You are going the right way if you walk past the dam (on your left) pictured below.
P2260102.JPG
Keep the dam on your left

First snap of Ben Chonzie
P2260103.JPG
ben chonzie
P2260104.JPG
Ben chonzie panorama

All was going well (apart from a slight detour due to my exceptionally poor map reading skills!) until we got to the Basset Hounds nemesis - fast flowing water. I kid you not that it took zippy 5 full minutes to pluck up the courage to cross this. It took all the whistling and encouragement I could offer and even Ruby was howling at him!!!!
P2260107.JPG
Zippy crossing the Rio Grande!!

Not long after we stopped for a cup of tea and got our first look back at Ben Vorlich
P2260108.JPG
Ben Vorlich
P2260113.JPG

We reached the small cairn and for once I didnt walk right past (eg the Ben Vorlich Ghost cairn!!), making good time we soon reached the fence which goes straight to the summit. Oh for anyone who hasn't tried them, microspikes are the business!!
P2260120.JPG
The summit in the distance along the fence line

We got the summit just as another couple of walkers arrived (father and son) and they duly obliged with the summit pic.
It was actually very cold on top and so we didnt hang around for too long.
P2260121.JPG
summit

Summit 360 panorama
P2260122.JPG
Summit panorama 1
P2260123.JPG
Summit panorama 2

The views at the top were absolutely stunning
P2260128.JPG
P2260133.JPG
P2260135.JPG
Ben Vorlich
P2260137.JPG
Can you see Zippy's guardian Basset Angel???
P2260138.JPG
P2260140.JPG

And so for the (not so long) walk back. Zippy's nose was in overdrive!!
P2260142.JPG
Tracker dog extrodinaire!!

Cheers to a great day out.. :)
P2260145.JPG

We made it back to the car just before 2pm thinking about where to walk next time.........
P2260146.JPG

I really enjoyed this walk which was unexpected given the hill's reputation for being a bit dull.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Grahams:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Ben Chonzie - a magic day

Postby Merry-walker » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:20 pm

Oh YAY :D

You got there in the end :lol:

Beautiful pictures 2D

Poor Zippy :shock: :lol: :lol:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Grahams:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby mband » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:25 pm

Great pics, shows me what I missed as the mist was down when I got to the top, although 2 Golden Eagles did appear out of the mist right in front of us to make up for it. Well done Zippy, must be the shortest legs to climb Ben Chonzie! :D
mband

Munros:202   Corbetts:36
Grahams:2   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:22

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:28 pm

2dalmatians wrote:I kid you not that it took zippy 5 full minutes to pluck up the courage to cross this. It took all the whistling and encouragement I could offer and even Ruby was howling at him!!!!

Could you not have just flung him over :lol: ?
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:255   Corbetts:52
Grahams:26   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby walk aboot » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:35 pm

Well done, Zippy...oh a you two as well, Ruby and 2dalmatians. The 'tracker' photo of Zippy is brilliant :D .

Um, I'm guessing (can't see it in the photo), but is there a spot named Ruby ahead of the foot/paw prints in the distance in the 'can you see Zippy's guardian angel?' photo?

I think Ben Chonzie gets a bad press because it doesn't feel like a Munro, still a very enjoyable walk :D :thumbup: .
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:38 pm

Nice one again 2Ds,a hill is never boring,well done to zippy aking it to the top with they short legs :D
gammy leg walker
Mountaineer

Munros:261   Corbetts:7
Grahams:3   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7

Postby walk aboot » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:39 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:
2dalmatians wrote:I kid you not that it took zippy 5 full minutes to pluck up the courage to cross this. It took all the whistling and encouragement I could offer and even Ruby was howling at him!!!!

Could you not have just flung him over :lol: ?

Poor Zippy, soakin' wet ears :? :lol:
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:00 am

Leithy -that dog weighs about 35k and has some seriously smelly bits - if we ever meet you on a hill and we are stuck at a burn you can have a go if you like :lol:

Walkaboot - Ruby is in there somewhere I think in the Guardian angel picture. The ghost image was becuase I took three pics to get the panorama and Zippy moved ever so slighty between the first 2. Looks like a translucent Basset next to him

PS - We are just about to head up Dumyat for a sunday morning stroll. Zippy is a broken dog I think...he is lying in front of the fire refusing to move!!
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Grahams:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby pruney84 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:59 pm

Nice report 2D, and really good photos, i also enjoyed Chonzie although i didn't get the views you got.

And well done to Zippy :D
pruney84
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland