walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Quickest and Ugliest Munro's..

The Quickest and Ugliest Munro's..

Postby Coutts94 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:53 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 26/10/2020

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 600m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So I was looking around Scotland to bag some Munro's, initially I had planned to go to Seana Bhraigh, but a last minute forecast change meant that I would have to search for an alternative, The Cairnwell!

I set off from Inverness at around 8am.. Well what a drive it is :lol: Definitely more time spend driving than walking today..

1.png
Glenshee Ski Centre

Nothing to say about Carn Aosda except its a quick hike up, around 25 mins :lol: I had decent views here, so cant really complain! I got a good view of the east side Munro's.

2.png
Carn Aosda

Then a quick trundle up to the next Munro, Carn A'Gheoidh, it did look a bit menacing but I didnt expect the weather to turn so quick :lol:

3.png
Carn AGheoidh

Driving rain, sleet and hail the whole way.. not the most enjoyable but an experience none the less!
No views to be had here..

4.png
Carn AGheoidh Summit

Then finally the return leg to the Cairnwell.. Didnt have high hopes for this as it is covered in stuff.. But still a decent sight to see! Would be better without the cloud right enough.

5.png
The Cairnwell

So once I had a quick look around The Cairnwell I made my way back to the car park.. the route on here describes going back to the junction and down the path, but I just made a b-line for it down the chairlift. Much quicker and not really that hard going, there is a slight path and it only takes around 15 mins.

As all my Munro's, here is a quick video of my day in The Cairnwell, visiting Scotlands quickiest (and ugliest) Munro summit! :D

Coutts94
Mountain Walker

Munros:239   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Re: The Quickest and Ugliest Munro's..

Postby J4MRU » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:38 pm

I really enjoyed that video! Thanks. :clap:

What did you use to record with? Which drone do you have?

I am thinking about doing these three next Friday with my son (His first 1st-3rd and my 3rd-5th, done Mayar and Dreish already) as part of the itinerary of a night a way we have booked in Ballater.
J4MRU
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:1
Walk wish-list

Postby jmarkb » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:38 pm

The Cairnwell really is a sad mess, but I think these three are improved by taking a somewhat longer route from Baddoch: the N ridge of Carn Aosda is a good way up, out of sight of the ski area, and you can head N off Carn a' Gheoidh to return via the track along the Baddoch Burn (or even add in An Socach if you are feeling fit!). The temptation of the high start point at the ski car park is hard to resist, though.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Coutts94 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:09 pm

J4MRU wrote:I really enjoyed that video! Thanks. :clap:

What did you use to record with? Which drone do you have?

I am thinking about doing these three next Friday with my son (His first 1st-3rd and my 3rd-5th, done Mayar and Dreish already) as part of the itinerary of a night a way we have booked in Ballater.

Thanks for watching! Used a GoPro Hero 7 and a Mavic Mini drone, good plan! Its still a great day out even though they are not the most scenic of Munros :D enjoy.
Coutts94
Mountain Walker

Postby Coutts94 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:14 pm

jmarkb wrote:The Cairnwell really is a sad mess, but I think these three are improved by taking a somewhat longer route from Baddoch: the N ridge of Carn Aosda is a good way up, out of sight of the ski area, and you can head N off Carn a' Gheoidh to return via the track along the Baddoch Burn (or even add in An Socach if you are feeling fit!). The temptation of the high start point at the ski car park is hard to resist, though.

Will need to try that one day :D
Coutts94
Mountain Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland