walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Alligin

Beinn Alligin

Postby colm » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:30 am

Route description: Beinn Alligin

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Mòr (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin)

Date walked: 01/08/2020

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1110m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Forecast still for up t 30k winds so reluctantly left Liathach for another day to ensure we could do the full ridge and decided on Beinn Alligin. Great sunny clear skies and surprisingly warm in Southerly Wind. The first hour pulling up the steep but excellent path into th corrie was really tough after 3 days climbing and a good few beers with Johhny in the hotel the previous night. When we stopped, also blister from my new boots was really bothering me by now, i realised i was dehydrated from the heat and had to refill by bladder at a burn after a huge drink. This sorted me out and then we made a good steasty pace to the summit where Johnny put a compeed on my rather nasty blister. The new SL boots i was walking in were really different to the old ones although should be the correct size?
After big heartfelt discussions the night before about lockdown and what it had been doing for Johnny, business and otherwise, it was heartening to see the hills do busy with walkers, especially young people and families out at last, after s severe restriction on movement. Toddlers running around the summit in the sunshine a pleasure to see. Really noticed the stiff breeze on the bealach between Tom na Gruagaich and Sgurr More, probable it was here that my new bum mat blew away! After a photo op at the huge ravine thart splits the slope in half en rout the the second summit it was time for some scrambling fun on the Horns of Allgin. Great fun and lovely rock, although the flat narrow ridges on the top of the horns required some focus in the winds. Followed and overtaken by beautiful young scottish families ad feeling more hopeful for the future we made the steep rocky descent and back to the car for a pint in The Torridon arms and a very interesting discussion about the Highland Clearances and the unique history that has influenced this landscape. Can't wait for more of Torridon. A great end to this summer's bagging visit.
colm
Munro compleatist

Munros:120   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland