walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

No more Ben Mores ?!

No more Ben Mores ?!

Postby scotdavid63 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:33 pm

Route description: Ben More Assynt and Conival

Munros included on this walk: Ben More Assynt, Conival

Date walked: 27/10/2020

Time taken: 4.75 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1274m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Likely last Munros of the year but who knows .......
Booked some half term holidays in Achiltibuie, took great care looking at weather windows and also noting that clocks changed the weekend before so the nights are fair drawing in. Stac Pollaidh on the Sunday en famille, great fun doing some exposed scrambling and moves on that and only got rained on on the way off :)

So, being so far up it would have been rude not to head up to bag these two. Weather heading along the single track from Achiltibuie to the main road looked great, some amazing sky and views. Not a car to be seen in the car park at Inchnadamph and the hotel is closed (season or covid or both). Brought a bike to see how far the track got and to save a wee bit of time as I had taken the Landcruiser and left family with no car for the day. Only got 2.7km up the track past the last cottage to jst before the sign for the caves but boy was the downhill ride at the end worth it :)

So, not a whole lot to add to previous reports. The path/track is boggy, no doubt about that and this must be a midge factory in July - September - so poles and boots a must rather than approach or trail shoes unless you want to do the whole thing with soggy feet. At 4.8km in (2km after the cave sign) the path heads uphill. Easy to follow it to then as runs right next to the Allt; also easy thereafter. At 700m there is the first of several small cairns to help you along, those take you up to about 840m or so and then you are totally on the ridge so very straightforward.
Nice big shelter cairn on Conival which must be a big help on windy days, I was in two layers and no jacket until there but then it started to get colder and the wind picked up big time on the way over to BMA. There are a number of ups and downs on the way over to BMA so it took a bit longer than I thought it would, even having dumped my daysack at the Conival cairn. Blew an absolute hoolie over at BMA, 50mph plus so whizzed back to Conival and met a guy with his springer spaniel heading over there, I likely got the better of the weather ............ Had not seen a soul all day, just a noisy stag getting his mojo on and trying to attract does.
I'll post some photos at the weekend, the views up here are amazing, huge skies, lumps of rock like Suilven to be seen and you can see the north coast as well as the Atlantic so helluva exposed. Not the best walks of my life, boulders and bog but up top without midges and with the big views put this right up there. 61 to go ..........
scotdavid63
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:3   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland