walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall a' Bhuachaille Take 6

Meall a' Bhuachaille Take 6

Postby malky_c » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:53 pm

Route description: Meall a' Bhuachaille circuit, Glenmore

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a' Bhuachaille

Date walked: 25/10/2020

Time taken: 3.3 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 540m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Corbetts: Meall a' Bhuachaille.
Date: 25/10/2020.
Distance: 9km.
Ascent: 540m.
Time: 3 hours, 20 minutes.
Weather: Windy with spots of rain and occasional sunshine.

The weekend weather was supposed to be wall-to-wall appalling, but as it approached, things looked a bit more varied. We had already managed to get out on Carn na h-Easgainn on Saturday (my 25th ascent I think - I won't bore anybody with another report on it!), and although today was not a day for the high tops, it looked reasonable enough for something around Aviemore.

Once down in Aviemore, we opted for Meall a' Bhuachaille rather than a lower level walk, as it is a nice straightforward circuit on good paths, and most of our October break walking had been across peat hags and heather tussocks. Given this is my 6th ascent of Meall a' Bhuachaille, there is probably almost as little to write about as Carn na h-Easgainn, but I seem to be doing it anyway :roll: .

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Parking up in a busy Glenmore, we decided to go up to Ryvoan first. The walk out to Lochan Uaine was also very busy, but the crowds thinned out after passing Ryvoan, where we had a lunch break.

Cairn Lochan

Near Lochan Uaine

Shoulder of Meall a Bhuachaille

Lochan Uaine

Lochan Uaine

Looking up Meall a Bhuachaille from near Ryvoan

Interesting skies

Ryvoan

Then it was onto the steep bit. Showers were passing through Speyside and the main Cairngorm plateau looked deeply unpleasant, but fortunately we were only getting the edge of this, which mostly came as strong gusts rather than actual rain.

Looking back to Ryvoan

Rainbow over Abernethy

Creag nan Gall

Carn Bheadhair over Abernethy

Creagan a Chaise and Ben Rinnes

The large summit cairn provided some shelter from the wind, then it was back down via Coire Chondlaich. Jackie had done the full ridge back in July (as had I a few years ago), but that could well have kicked off some of her current problems, so we kept it simple today.

Northern Corries and Strathspey

Loch Morlich

Descending with Loch Garten in the background

Creagan Gorm

Northern Corries with a dusting of snow

Coire Chondlaich

Jaxter

No journey through Aviemore would be complete without a quick visit to Miele's for ice cream (even in the autumn or winter!)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland