walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pap of Glencoe

Pap of Glencoe

Postby SecondRow » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:56 pm

Route description: The Pap of Glencoe

Fionas included on this walk: Pap of Glencoe

Date walked: 04/11/2020

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 6.74 km

Ascent: 755m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Pap of Glencoe 04112020.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This is a marvelous wee hill. Just challenging enough to feel a like a good walk on a short winters day and with great views over the big beasts of Glencoe and the Mamores.

I parked at the forestry car park (the start point by the forestry track is now marked as 'no parking').

After a leisurely start along the path running parallel to the road, it was straight into steep ascend as soon as I was through the gate. It didn't take long until I was treated to stunning views of the mountains on the south side of the glen, many of which were dusted with the first snow of the year. Looking the other way I could see down Loch Leven towards Ballachulish Bridge.

Unsurprisingly, given the amount of rain recently, the path had turned into almost a river at some point and was badly eroded. I was glad that I had reproofed by boots, as otherwise I doubt I would have had dry feet.

Just below the dome of the summit, the gradient relented and the path dried off. Starting the final part of the ascend the cloud came. On a couple of occasions I picked the wrong part of the path and ended up making some trickier scrambling moves than probably what was required.

On the summit the cloud was thick, thought I got the odd glimpse down to the loch through the breaks.

Descending the 'scrambly' sections slowly and carefully, I soon came below the cloud and enjoyed the views descending the same way.

P1010475 (Medium).JPG

P1010476 (Medium).JPG

P1010477 (Medium).JPG

P1010479 (Medium).JPG

P1010481 (Medium).JPG
SecondRow
Walker

Munros:96   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:34
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland