walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Peak of the Corrie of The Scotsmen

Peak of the Corrie of The Scotsmen

Postby Lipeshends » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:51 am

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coir an Albannaich

Date walked: 12/07/2012

Time taken: 8.6 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

IMG_0845.JPG
Beinn Dorain on drive up - looking promising.

IMG_0847.JPG
Glencoe - not so promising

Stob Coir an Albannaich (historical trip report)

So fellow baggers. An awful lot of pash has intruded my erstwhile ordered arc since last I set foot to hill or finger to keyboard on another forum. Incredibly (to me) I seem to have let 2011 come and go without doing a single hill.

My father died in 2010; I was made redundant in July 2011; now I’m getting divorced; went to NZ for RWC, sold house; started a business; won a contract now on hold. Waiting for Godot.

Did the etape Caledonia cycle again but not at all fit and suffered in rubbish weather.
Lots of time on my hands but rallying friends all want to take one for beers – more of which I don’t really need.

Solution? Solo jaunt in the hills on the only day for ages when there looked to be less prospect of any rain!

This mountain is a bit of a pig to be honest. The fit and fleet of foot can do it at the end of a jaunt up Starav and neighbour. Retreating afterwards to the beallach and descending the obvious walkout path for that route.

However there is a masochistic route that I attempted before, in winter and abandoned due to imminent darkness somewhere not far from the summit.

This entails more or less going straight up, trending right, through endless rock bands and grass terraces from a derelict stone dyke on the path to Glenceitlein farm. This route is more or less SE to gain what one hopes will be a ridge with a path but no path appears at all until past intermediate top Beinn Caorach which at 850m is most of the way there and all of the difficulty behind.

Don’t get me wrong – there is clear evidence that hunners o folk have been this way before, No chute you choose, ledge you brave, weakness you exploit is without the tell-tale foot-shaped dents in the terrain. However all it means is that everyone going approximately this way makes their own route – all equally brutal, strenuous and steep.

Now when I were addressed in the past by my ‘uddersfield chum as “Youth” I used to like these DIY fall-line routes but at an embarrassing 19 stone it was just hell.

The day actually turned out quite warm and I was T-shirt clad, exposed to the sun (actually got a bit burned – must have been summer) and approximately 25 cleg attacks. I thought I’d swatted them, all- but-one, before they bit but days later I have about four or five itchy weals – all on the elbow area.

Not sure what the guide book says for this route but I also wasted a half hour because I parked up at the wrong track half a klick too far down Glen Etive. This went precisely nowhere leaving me a few hundred metre yomp through swampy, trackless grass mounds to gain the correct road/track.
IMG_0850.JPG
Oh no! Wrong track... (correct one starts near that mushroom shaped mound)

Excuses aside I think I was about 5 and a half hours to the top. Not another soul on my hill but had met a couple doing the Starav circuit on the walk in and then met a party of three – quite late in the day - ascending Albannaich as I made my way back down.

IMG_0852.JPG
One of way too many rest stops

IMG_0853.JPG
looking back to lower summit from ridge to summit proper on Stob Coir an Albannaich.

The summit plateau and ridge are actually quite pleasant with slabby pavement and easy walking. If you do this from Starav side you won’t ever experience the tortuous direct route. Perhaps because of my previous winter knock back I perversely decided again to go straight down the steep grass slopes in a direct line for the road.
IMG_0854.JPG
A few feet below summit of Stob Coir an Albannaich - Peak of the Corrie of the Scotsmen

A cunning plan formed in my head as I could see how to save a mile extra walkout to my car. All I had to do was wade the River Etive. I did not care about getting wet as I was really hot, so with phone in mouth in case of a stumble I just went straight across just above the critical depth that I know from survival programmes (knee deep) risks getting swept away. Doddle.

Eight hours and twenty five minutes car to car. Also lost 7lbs weight mostly dehydration I think despite four bottles of fluids I was carrying.

To be honest if you wanted to do this hill on its own it would be much quicker and easier going up the Starav path and heading direct up to the coll/beallach between Albannaich and Glas Bheinn Mor

As I staggered into the Kingshouse for a venison burger (v.nice) and a Guinness I allowed myself the delayed pleasure contemplating Munro #148 done and dusted in the climber’s bar where a fair bit of my youth was mis-spent.
Lipeshends
Mountain Walker

Munros:160   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland