walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Snowbound Ben Challum- looking forward to winter!

Snowbound Ben Challum- looking forward to winter!

Postby MtnGoat » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:36 pm

Route description: Ben Challum, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Ben Challum

Date walked: 03/12/2019

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Definitely looking forward to the winter months and have been looking through my winter gear in anticipation of the weather changing up. This was from a Argyll for a Ben Challum hike after a fresh dump of snow the during the night before. Been using the off weather day to go through old video and pictures.

Early start before sunrise, then a fair mix of weather conditions, but it opened up to give awesome views. One of the best winter munro routes in my opinion, as once you are up on the mountain there is fence line that you follow for a lot of the route, which helps with route finding and the terrain is fairly straight forward. Starting at the layby on the A82 the route followed a well marked path, crossing over the railway line and up over several false summits. Very soon though, the going became much tougher, with the fresh powdery snow mega-tough going to break a trail (although the people coming up behind us were very happy with us cutting them a path!).

I for one am looking forward to the seasons changing again soon……!

MtnGoat
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland