walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

around Loch Lednock

around Loch Lednock

Postby past my sell by date » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:28 pm

Date walked: 07/11/2020

Time taken: 4.75 hours

Distance: 13.3 km

Ascent: 427m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

When I climbed Ruadh Mheall from home, I didn't really have enough time to explore it properly, but I noticed that it looked down directly on Loch Lednock and appeared to be more accessible from there
8554.JPG
loch Lednock and Ben Chonzie from Ruadh Mheall
And as I have never explored the tracks in upper reaches of this glen I decided to do so on Saturday as the weather looked brilliant.
The car park at Invergeldie was packed beyond my imagination - cars on the verges hundreds of metres down the road, but I managed to sneak into a spot by the bridge that everyone else seemed to have missed :D :lol:
It is a shame that you can't drive further up the glen , but it's easy to see why this is the case :( .
Nevertheless - great to see so many people out in the hills though I didn't meet a single one on my walk :lol: :lol:
I set off up the road, took the L turn signed to Ardeonaig, crossed the river and continued past a ruined house and back over another bridge
8555.JPG
Autumn colours at the start of the Ardeonaig road
Beyond the bridge where the road turns L and heads up the glen the map shows a path leading off, but I decided to continue up the road and find the other end of it on the way back
8557.JPG
Looking up the valley (Gleann Mathaig) from just beyond the second bridge
8561.JPG
Looking back down the valley from higher
8563.JPG
The track continuing up the valley leads towards Creag Ruadh
8566.JPG
While the tarmac road bears sharply R
8569.JPG
Looking back from the road junction, the whole of Ben Chonzie comes into view
8570.JPG
The road climbs a little further and then descends. Zoomed view - it looks as if the Clyde valley is full of mist
8572.jpg
When I reached the high point, I expected to look down on the loch - but there was a green valley :? It took me quite a while to realise I was looking at a reflection :lol: :lol: :lol: The water was mirror calm
8573.JPG

8574.JPG
Reflections in the loch
The road descends slightly and then heads North , above and parallel to the loch
8575.JPG
Looking North - Ruadh Mheall dominates the head of the glen
8581.JPG
Back down the loch towards the dam
8584.JPG
Further along
8587.jpg
Danger of death it says, but I needed to sit down and decided to take the risk :lol: :lol: :lol:
Although it was only lunchtime most of the road was in the shade and it was quite cold - glad I'd bought some gloves - and the thought of returning this way in a few hours time and of retracing about 6km of tarmac didn't really appeal.: I should have been a couple of hours earlier :( so I changed plan and decided to walk round the loch to the dam.
The map shows no track on the North/East side, but I can hardly have been the first person ever to traverse it, so there would surely be something to follow and at least I would be in the sun :D
There looked to be one streambed that might prove an obstacle, but I had crossed this slope twice doing Creag Uchdag so I had no worries.
8590.JPG
The beautifully built sandstone power station at the road end. (A couple of pipes descend to it). Now I understood why the road was tarmacked the whole way. Scottish Hydro don't skimp on these things - after all we are the ones paying for it :lol: :lol:
8593.JPG
I headed round the back of the power station, and crossed the flat terrain and the Lednock burn without difficulty: Looking down the length of the loch - the earlier calm had gone
8594.JPG
Another burn descend to the NE corner of the loch, but again it caused no problems and nor did the old stock fence beyond
8597.JPG
As expected there were signs of a track
8600.JPG
The lochside
8603.JPG
looking up the large gully which proved no obstacle
Beyond this gully, the bracken became a bit wearisome, though the small tracks continued through it. This walk would be much easier in the spring, but you wouldn't get the colour. I tried descending on to the foreshore but it was loose, unstable and slippery so I soon climbed back above
8606.JPG

8609.JPG
Views up and down - I was about 1.5km from the end now
8613.JPG
Eventually you come to these attractive woods - mainly larch - and go through some sheep pens
8612.JPG
A wider view. The larch trees have grown well - a pity they don't continue up the lochside :(
8628.JPG
The track crosses a bridge over this exciting looking little chasm
8631.JPG
And continues to the dam: looking back from just above it
From the dam, I descended the road back to the car - a really enjoyable day

New_Route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by past my sell by date on Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

Re: around Loch Lednock

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:40 pm

Last time I did that route I was walking my grandfather's collie in 1975 so others have walked along the north side of the loch but maybe not for some time................

Strange thing is I remember the walk really well (and recognised where each of your photos was taken from). We started at Comrie then up the glen and took your tarmac road to the far end of the loch then we headed over towards Loch Tay before doubling back and walking along the north side of the loch then back down the road.

My Gran gave me a row for being gone for so long and my Grampa quietly thanked me as he could have a couple of days off as Dougal was knackered :lol: :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:57 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Last time I did that route I was walking my grandfather's collie in 1975 so others have walked along the north side of the loch but maybe not for some time................

Strange thing is I remember the walk really well (and recognised where each of your photos was taken from). We started at Comrie then up the glen and took your tarmac road to the far end of the loch then we headed over towards Loch Tay before doubling back and walking along the north side of the loch then back down the road.

My Gran gave me a row for being gone for so long and my Grampa quietly thanked me as he could have a couple of days off as Dougal was knackered :lol: :lol:

Poor Dougal - you must have walked him off his feet - but I guess he enjoyed it :D
you must have done Ruadh Mheall - A nice looking hill that dominates the head of the glen - a shame it's not a Graham in its own right
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

Postby Grisu » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:50 pm

Looks like a really nice walk and much better than the walk I have done over here yesterday out of sheer boredom. I was missing the lovely scenery and the mountains of Scotland :( At least the forests gave a little comfort. But there are only few over here, most of the scenery are flat fields...
strava3872816568238147980.jpg
only my garmin record
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland