walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Grey Corries - perfection above the cloud

The Grey Corries - perfection above the cloud

Postby jimbell21 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:52 pm

Route description: The Grey Corries

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Chòinnich Mòr, Stob Choire Claurigh, Stob Coire an Laoigh

Date walked: 06/11/2020

Time taken: 7.15 hours

Distance: 22.2 km

Ascent: 1763m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Friday 6th November 2020

Having been up Beinn a'Ghlo on the Wednesday, I never really intended on another hill day before going back to work on Saturday....however I then saw the forecast for Friday, and the high chance of an inversion on the hills :D . I couldn't turn it down, especially with the risk of going back into some form of lockdown, so opted for a trip to the Grey Corries to make the most of it.

After gingerly crawling up the rough bumpy track to Corriechoille at a steady 5mph, I parked up about 8.40am. Conditions were looking good, there was a lot of low cloud about, however I could see blue sky through the gaps, so I was hopeful that the inversion would happen. I set off at a rate, crampons and ice axe laden (purely as ballast as it turned out), and started up the track. Forking right after 2km or so, it was straight into ankle deep bog before starting the steep ascent towards the first tops. I was soon deep inside the mist, ploughing upwards hoping to escape it as soon as possible. There are a million reports about the route, so I'll tell the story with pictures as the day developed...

Feeling hopeful soon after leaving the car

Yes!! Escaped the cloud into paradise, with my spectre following me upwards

Reaching the ridge, with inversions either side. The Ben and Aonachs looked phenomenal in the morning light. (Click on the panoramas for the full picture)

Looking east to Stob Coire na Ceannain

Just incredible. Grinning from ear to ear, absolutely delighted.

A fun wee scramble along towards the first munro if you stick to the crest.

Views over Rannoch towards Schiehallion in the distance.

Inversions up almost any hill you had chosen. Breathtaking!

The route to come. Absolutely awesome! Not a soul around either, nobody. How can you have all this to yourself?

Onto photograph number 26,735 by this point.... :lol:

Peeping over the Aonachs to the roof of Britain.

Ridge panorama.

Onwards towards Stob Coire an Laoigh

Looking back towards Stob a'Choire Leith

The summit of Stob Coire an Laoigh, an incredible viewpoint.

Faffing about with the camera to prove I was there...

A very happy camper!

The view out towards the third and final munro, Sgurr Choinnich Mor. Appears a bit closer than it is...

Job done. Looking back along the full Grey Corries Ridge from Sgurr Choinnich Mor, and a pathetic looking wee cairn :lol:

The long descent down the boggy ridge eventually took me onto the forest track once more and back to the car to finish the day under a cracking sunset over the Aonachs.

A fantastic day. I'm glad I saved these hills for a day like this, absolutely superb. 7 hours 10 mins that went by in the blink of an eye. A very enjoyable route, I loved every minute of the day.
Attachments

20201106.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

jimbell21
Mountain Walker

Munros:205   Corbetts:36
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:27   Hewitts:4
Islands:13

Re: The Grey Corries - perfection above the cloud

Postby TheRoguefarmer » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:14 pm

:clap: Amazing trip - brilliant and inspiring photos, the kind you hope and dream of - very jealous!
TheRoguefarmer
Wanderer

Postby jimbell21 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:56 pm

TheRoguefarmer wrote::clap: Amazing trip - brilliant and inspiring photos, the kind you hope and dream of - very jealous!

Thanks mate, so glad I went! Definitely a day to savour and remember. Cheers 8)
jimbell21
Mountain Walker

Postby Graeme D » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:34 pm

Mine would be one of the millions of reports on this route that you mentioned. I thought my photos were quite tasty from that day but your pics easily top them. Excellent stuff. The memories of that should go a long way to getting you through the next spell of lock down!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby rockhopper » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:26 am

Well, if you set out to make us envious I can confirm that you succeeded :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Here's me stuck in Tier 3 not able to go anywhere at all really just dreaming of days like this 8) - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby jimbell21 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:09 am

rockhopper wrote:Well, if you set out to make us envious I can confirm that you succeeded :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Here's me stuck in Tier 3 not able to go anywhere at all really just dreaming of days like this 8) - cheers :)

Haha sorry guys!! Karma has struck however and now Fife is in Tier 3 as well, so I'm buggered.... :(
jimbell21
Mountain Walker

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:42 pm

Fine pics Jim. A great day on great hills.

All the best :D
Sunset tripper

Postby jimbell21 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:37 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Fine pics Jim. A great day on great hills.

All the best :D

Thank you kindly, it sure was a great day! Looking forward to winter now...if we're allowed to go anywhere :(
jimbell21
Mountain Walker

Postby DomBoyd » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:03 pm

Superb, excellent images. Hope the memories carry you through tier 3.
DomBoyd
Mountain Walker

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland