walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mona Gowan (the lazy way)

Mona Gowan (the lazy way)

Postby Crow62 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:40 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Mona Gowan

Date walked: 13/11/2020

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 5.5 km

Ascent: 260m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

My original plan was to climb both Mona Gowan and Morven from further down the road, but the Obergruppenführer arranged an evening out at short notice and I thought I better not turn up needing a double hip replacement, Plan B was quickly put into action and I realised that it would be quicker to climb Mona Gowan on it's own, across Scraulac and Cairnagower Hill, I started from a "small" lay-by on the A939, There was just enough room to squeeze in about 10 cars, a few buses, the starting grid of a Formula one race and the queue for the Newcastle to Amsterdam ferry.
Mona Gowan 29.JPG
Compact but Bijou
Stone steps lead up into the heather and a path, which more or less follows the fence, leads up to the top of Scraulac. There's a slight downhill and rise to Cairngower Hill with a padlocked gate, but remembering my army training, I managed an Arctic roll over the gate and threaded my way through the peat bogs. The view to Morven was improving. even though it was an overcast, windy day.
Mona Gowan 22.JPG
Morven
There's a bit more downhill before the final pull-up to Mona Gowan, with a more substantial river of Peat in the dip.
Mona Gowan 6.JPG
Grand Canyon
I donned flippers and an aqualung to make my way across, but later realised that if I'd left the fence and followed a parallel ATV track, I could have gone round it. :roll: The Cairn is truly a creation, a skyscraper in the world of cairns, and the views in all directions had a differing array of weather conditions, most including rain.
Mona Gowan 11.JPG
A magnificent erection
Mona Gowan 12.JPG
Mona Gowan 18.JPG
Mona Gowan 19.JPG
As time was short, I returned to the car by the same route. All in all a cracking little hill for not much effort.
Crow62
Mountaineer

Munros:46   Corbetts:28
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:85   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:8   Islands:9

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland