walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A-Hoy there - magical day with the old man & special ending

A-Hoy there - magical day with the old man & special ending

Postby Jaxter » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:01 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cuilags (Hoy)

Date walked: 07/11/2020

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 600m

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous day - Orkney mainland cycle

We’d heard from someone visiting during the summer that Orkney ferries needed to be booked 24 hours in advance, so we had this all good to go the day before. I was a bit concerned about being too tired from the day before, and also that our ferry left at 9.30 and I often struggle to be out of bed by then. But we managed it – we parked up in Stromness, unloaded the bikes and with 5 minutes to the ferry, Malky decided he needed to evacuate his bowels (fortunately he did this a lot more quickly than normal :lol: )

The ferry itself wasn’t busy (there were 8 passengers including us) and before long we were on our way. Although the full sun that was forecast wasn’t really evident yet, it was a beautiful morning as we left Stromness.

Looking back to Stromness

Ward Hill & Cuilags on Hoy towering above Graemsay

Looking towards Scapa Flow

Things got a bit choppy as we rounded the end of Graemsay but before long we were safely deposited on Hoy.

Looking out to sea and the waves crashing into the cliffs as Yesnaby

Everyone else dispersed fairly quickly, mostly on bikes but 2 guys on foot carrying camping gear. We took our time and pedalled up the hill. As we gained height the views back towards Moaness and the pier were stunning 8)

We did consider walking up to the Dwarfie Stane, but didn’t want to tire myself out before the hill – we decided we could do it on the way back if I had the energy

At the high point of the road

Looking down to Rackwick

We spotted what looked like a wee howff and were trying to work out what it was. Turns out we were looking at THIS – not a house, but dressed up to look like one!

As we dropped down we could see up the glen towards our hill (if we got there!)

We saw the road climbing (yet again!) ahead but fortunately this was where it split and we didn’t need to cycle up it. We dumped the bikes, transferred some extra crap to Malky’s pannier and set off on foot. From the end of the road the path was well sign-posted

The path climbed fairly gently towards the cliffs and as we gained height we could see down to Rackwick Bay – impressive!

Looking back to the high point of the road

Restored houses with grass-roofs

How did they know he was coming?! :lol:

Looking down of Rackwick – we’d go down to the beach afterwards to (hopefully) catch the sunset

It was a really good path which made for easy walking

Rackwick

As we passed the high point of the path we could see down to the impressive cliffs around Rora Head (but I was glad to find out that we didn’t need to walk around them!)

We were sad to be dropping height but forgot our disappointment when the Old Man of Hoy came into view 8)

We covered the distance to the Old Man relatively quickly and reached the impressive looking cliffs

Cliffs to the north

Old Man of Hoy – impressive!

The cliffs around here were amazing, we tried to spot how you’d get down to the Old Man, for anyone crazy enough to try :lol: And the cliffs to the north were even higher!

We sat down to enjoy half of our lunch – it was a bit early but I needed a bit of a break and it wasn’t a spot we wanted to rush off from!
ImageA-Hoy there!

As we set off along to the cliffs we spotted the ferry coming in from Scrabster – would definitely be worth getting this ferry in the daylight as the views from underneath the cliffs would be incredible 8)

As we continued along the cliffs the path remained decent – we hoped this would continue!

There was virtually no wind and with the sun giving it laldi it was hot work as we climbed up the cliffs

“That’s clouds - it can’t be hills cos the nearest thing is the Faroes” said Malky. I wasn’t convinced and eventually he had to concede that his sense of direction was about 90 degrees off :lol:

We had gained a lot of height but the Old Man still looked impressive (not a bad effort for an old man :wink: :lol: )

Scaraben & Morven

We met the two guys with camping gear along here; they said they were heading for the beach to camp – we had been wondering if they were heading for bothy but they said it was closed, unsurprisingly.

Some vicious cracks in the cliffs!

St John’s Head – we would probably leave the cliffs just before we reached there

The path diverted away from the clifftop around about here – these are Hendry’s Holes, but we weren’t sure who Hendry is/was. The path headed uphill before turning left, where we left it and carried on uphill

For the first five minutes the ground was awful but it did improve gradually as we got further away from the cliffs. I was pretty exhausted here, and instead of heading for the trig point on Suie Fea we decided to contour around and head straight for the bealach to avoid any extra ascent. We could see Cuilags (our hill) on the left and Ward Hill on the right.

Rackwick Bay – seemed an awful long way away!

Most of the ground here was much better – it reminded me a bit of the rock in Assynt and Torridon. As we reached the bealach we could see across to Mainland Orkney

I was exhausted and we stopped for a break before the final ascent to the summit. After some water and chocolate I was raring to go (well, just about capable of moving my feet :lol: )

As we neared the summit the views really opened out across Mainland Orkney – we were far higher than anything else on the Mainland so we could see the whole way across!

We finally reached the summit – what a view!

Time was getting on – somehow despite thinking we had loads of time we didn’t think we were going to make the beach for sunset after all :roll:

Jaxtering on the summit of Cuilags

Scapa Flow

After enjoying the views we got going – from here we were dropping down the ridge to the path through the glen. Initially the ground was pretty decent

Although it was all downhill, it looked an awfully long way!

The ridge was nice and easy for so long that we were lulled into a false sense of security which was shattered as we were faced with a steep heathery descent to the burn. It felt like longer but Malky said it only took us about 5 minutes to get down it. Fortunately I managed to get away with it despite having forgotten my poles :roll:

We climbed up the steep bank of the burn and were on the path which was much better than expected – we had thought it might be a big of a bog-fest.

The most northerly natural woodland – the Forest of Orkney :lol:

The sky was starting to become nice colours as we marched along the track. With the ascent done I was feeling a bit more lively and we made good time along the glen.

Looking back to Cuilags

Nearing the end of the track, a helpful bridge.

It turned out that we had made such good time that we were able to hop on the bikes and freewheel down to the beach in time for sunset! (We would pay for the free-wheeling on the way back up the hill later :lol: )

The sun dropping behind the northern mainland hills

The sun was gone and it was only just after 4 – winter is coming! :lol:

We had a wee nosy at Burnmouth bothy – currently closed, but in an excellent spot! The 2 guys we had seen earlier had set up camp next to the bothy.

The ferry wasn’t until 6.30, and although we figured we ought to allow an hour to cycle back over (I wasn’t sure how I was going to react to having to move again :lol: ) we had plenty of time to sit and relax and eat some of the snacks we had left.

After a bit of a rest the cycle back was not as bad as I had feared. It felt pretty magic cycling across Hoy in the dark – it was so quiet!

Back at the pier we had a half hour wait – fortunately the wind was still virtually nothing and once we’d added some extra clothes it wasn’t actually that cold.

The ferry took us around the other side of Graemsay this time, which was much calmer! Back in Stromness I threw the keys at Malky :lol: We did stop for a quick photo – it’s music related – anyone get it?

After a nice hot shower and some dinner we both felt a lot better. We were just settling in for an early-ish night when an aurora alert went off. We jumped in the car and headed to Inganess Bay where it was a stunning evening. I didn’t think we’d got any aurora, but when I got the photos on the computer I think you’ll agree there’s a very faint green 8)

A perfect end to a perfect day 8) And I slept like a log afterwards :lol:

Cuilags_I_m_pooped_.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Cycle - 18.93km, 190m ascent, 1 hour 40 minutes

activity_5787724283.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Jaxter on Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: A-Hoy there - a magical day with very special ending

Postby NeepNeep » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:14 pm

Looks amazing - still not been. That looks like a great route you did. The cliffs to the North look massive!! I have aspirations to climb the old man one day (not malky...don't you worry)....though don't hold your breath for it may be a while.
NeepNeep
Stravaiging

Munros:105   Corbetts:28
Fionas:10   Donalds:5
Hewitts:75
Wainwrights:79   

Postby Sgurr » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:40 pm

That looks a great day out. Super trip report.

I really want to do The Old Man track some day, but the "necessity" of bagging the Marilyns has kept us away from it so far. You will not believe (well you may) that to get level with the Dwarfie Stane, we took a taxi so as to have time for both hills before the ferry. Taxi driver showed us a cottage shaped boulder, which he claimed locals has painted to look like one about 300- 400 metres through deep vegetation and holes. They had complemented it with a B & B notice, but unless they had boundless patience to sit and wait, they would just have to imagine people falling for it. When we bashed our way back down to the road, we thought the undergrowth was the most horrendous we had ever encountered, so felt sorry for anyone who had staggered a cross to the "cottage"

The dwarfie stane was much easier, duck-boards all the way across.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:56 pm

Thanks for that. Some great pictures. I especially like the one of the Old Man (not Malky) from the vicious cracks, with the sunlight on the water. Shows just how big St John's Head is, when the OM looks quite small!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby dav2930 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:09 pm

Fascinating stuff; that looked a very enjoyable day. Great photos of the Old Man (and the ones of the sea stack are even better :lol: ), the sunset at the beach and the starry skies with hint of aurora. :clap:

I've never been that far north, but would've fancied a crack at the Old Man in my younger days. I've got a bit out of practice this year for predictable reasons. But then Bonnington climbed it on his 80th birthday, so maybe there's still hope for me yet, Covid permitting? :lol:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: A-Hoy there - magical day with the old man & special end

Postby litljortindan » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:38 pm

Excellent! And perfect timing for sunset at Rackwick Bay.
When I climbed Cuilags I had thought of adding St John's head but there were too many bonxies and they meant business so a good time of year to go there too imo.
Some super photos, especially from the cliffs north of the Old Man looking back at it.
I think Rackwick Bay is really stunning with its backdrop (or sidedrop?) of jagged cliffs to the south. What a great place to see a sunset.
P.S. definitely an aura of aurora on the post-sunset photos.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:04 am

NeepNeep wrote:Looks amazing - still not been. That looks like a great route you did. The cliffs to the North look massive!! I have aspirations to climb the old man one day (not malky...don't you worry)....though don't hold your breath for it may be a while.

Well - a blind man led it a short while back :shock: :shock: :shock: so you should have a good chance :lol: :lol:
Nice report and lovely pics of "his nibs"
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:50 am

A great read, and some superb pics - not sure about the old man, though :D .

Orkney is a place - one of sooooooo many - that I still have to get to.

https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=yfp-search-sa&p=farewell+to+stromness#id=4&vid=88c48b391faa83cc82f8f89388e4e22c&action=click
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby gaffr » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:03 am

Many thanks for the images of that magical place. I enjoyed the visit to that area....the bothy above Rackwick bay and the beach below and of course the walk out to and the path down to the base. Still plenty of time for those that wish to ascend. I didn't get there until I was sixty. My friend led the big second pitch, at that time the holds were full of damp sand, I had the easy first pitch and three and five. The last crack pitch is a great experience bridging up the very fine crack.
Great admiration for the young man with severe sight problems who of course led the entire route. :clap:
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby apollo0815 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:31 pm

The music relation could be "Farewell to Stromness" a piece from Peter Maxwell Davies, which as I had not known before had it's world premiere just 20 km from where I am sitting at the moment, in the Pfalztheater in Kaiserslautern,Germany.(which back then still was an old movie theatre...converted after the war, because the original one was bombed)
If this is the one, you should be careful, Sir Peter has composed some dangerous music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCeh6amXyYE:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice photos, as usual, a great report, and I am still wishing all the best for the recovery.

If anyone hasn't been to Orkney and just wishes a "quick overview", there is a possibility to catch a day trip from John 'o Groats, ferrying you over to the southern tip of Orkney at Burwick. From there a bus takes you round the island, visiting Kirkwall, Stromness, Skara Brae, the ring of Brodgar and the Standing Stones at Stenness and the Italian Chapel on the way.( and if get the right driver a whole lot of info on Scapa Flow, the Churchill Barriers and other places)
No hillwalking on this trip, obviously, but nice to get an impression.
apollo0815
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:4

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland