walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Klibreck - 100th Munro in the wind

Ben Klibreck - 100th Munro in the wind

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:42 pm

Route description: Ben Klibreck

Munros included on this walk: Ben Klibreck

Date walked: 27/02/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 900m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Weather forecast for Sunday was almost perfect. The "almost" bit was wind, according to MetOffice - 45 to 50 mph and incraesing 60 mph :eh: This alone was off-putting and additionally, two days earlier I suffered from a minor leg injury while jogging. Nothing really serious but it hurt :thumbdown: therefore our weekend trip was more than a questionmark...
But as I updated Kevin's list of hills climbed, I realised he's already ticked off a total of 99 Munros and it ment his next one would be the magical number 100. Surely, I could not miss an opportunity to bag another mountain if it was my husband's big step "into the hundreds" :lol: :lol:
They say that all cats are born to be wild so no wonder I picked a very remote Munro for our little expedition. I had seen Ben Klibreck once before, last year when we drove past it to climb Ben Hope - and I remember I was impressed by its neat shape. All I wanted now was to leave the civilisation behind for a few hours and get lost in the wilderness (not literally though :D ).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We started our walk from Vagastie Bridge, where there is a little car park. Surprisingly, we were all alone, not a car or a person in sight. Maybe they were scared off by the nasty wind? :shock:
ben klibreck 040.JPG
The bridge

ben klibreck 038.JPG
Ben Klibreck from A836 by Vagastie bridge

The first pull up Cnoc Sgriodain was quite boggy. We spotted a wet track heading up the hill and we stayed on its side. When we reached the top of Cnoc Sgriodain, cold wind became even more annoying :? :? , so we quickly took some snapshots and carried on along the ridge.
ben klibreck 042.JPG
Ben Klibreck from Cnoc Sgriodain

ben klibreck 044.JPG
Looking southwest

ben klibreck 048.JPG
Ben Loyal

ben klibreck 053.JPG
The cairn of Cnoc Sgriodain

As we descended into the bealach, we had to meander a bit among peat hags. For most of the time we stayed close to vehicle tracks as they helped us to avoid the boggiest parts. Once past the wet area, we tackled the steepish slope of Creag an Lochain. At some point we took a short break to put on additional layers of clothing - the wind wasn't kidding at all...
ben klibreck 061.JPG
Looking up Creag an Lochain

ben klibreck 059.JPG
Nice views in every direction

Once on the summit of Creag an Lochain, the main top of Ben Klibreck came into view again:
ben klibreck 063.JPG
That's where we have to get!

We just started walking towards the final stretch-up, when dark clouds appeared suddenly out of nowhere. Luckily, they passed right behind us so at least we avoided most of the nasty hail.
ben klibreck 067.JPG
Clouds are coming!

ben klibreck 074.JPG
Creag an Lochain in the clouds

The last part of the route up Meall nan Con was steep, but we charged it with considerable determination. Unfortunately, mine only lasted about ten minutes - that was when my almost forgotten leg injury came back to life :sick: Gusts of wind almost blew me off the slope. Still I didn't want to give up!
We conquered the summit eventually - horaaay! - and I could congratulate Kevin on his no. 100! Shame there was no one else there to take a pic of us together. We spent a short while on the top - surprisingly wind dropped and we caught a clear "window" in the clouds, so we could admire the summit panorama:
ben klibreck 088.JPG
Meall an Eoin

ben klibreck 091.JPG
Ben Loyal again

ben klibreck 097.JPG
Creag an Lochain from the summit of Meall nan Con

ben klibreck 099.JPG
Snowy, snowy rocks :)

ben klibreck 102.JPG
The 100th-Munroist by the trigpoint :)))

ben klibreck 103.JPG
My Munro no. 27... Still a long way to go until 100!

It was about 3 pm when we finally left the summit and headed back towards Creag an Lochain. As we descended to A'Chioch, one short glimpse back reminded us, how lucky we were with the weather "window"...
ben klibreck 127.JPG
Clouds gathering around Meall nan Con

On the way back we avoided climbing the top of Creag an Lochain by taking a narrow path that goes along its eastern slopes. We didnt stop until we reached a small cairn on the bealach to Cnoc Sgriodain. From there we had the last look at Ben Klibreck:
ben klibreck 130.JPG
Ben Klibreck in afternoon sun

We returned to our car cold but happy, with the satisfaction of a well spent day, even though I limped a bit towards the end. Hopefully my leg will recover before the next expedition. There are so many more hills to look forwards to 8) 8) 8)
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Re: Ben Klibreck - 100th Munro in the wind

Postby davetherave » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:58 pm

Ben Loyal looks a fine hill in
your pics .
As for Ben Kilbreck I have not done that one either. Sometime soon I hope.
Congratulations to kev on reaching the ton. Im sure you will reach that number some day soon.

Cheers Dave.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby Stretch » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:21 pm

Congrats on munro 100 and 27! Looks like a fine walk despite the wind.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby soulminer » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:20 pm

'Ton up' - Well done 8)
There is certainly nowhere to hide up there if it is a tad windy.
Cheers
soulminer

Postby ChrisW » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:35 pm

Nice report and pics - great to see the weather gods smiling on the century celebrations :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:31 pm

Congrats on the 100.... never mind the wind, the light looks lovely 8)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby dooterbang » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:48 pm

Congrats on the 100th.

My friend and i did this late Sept 2010 after doing Ben Hope in the morning - its a fair old slog through wet ground before reaching the ridge.

Hope the injury heals quickly.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland