walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A long drop between the mountains

A long drop between the mountains

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:20 pm

Route description: Bidein a' Chabair from Loch Arkaig

Corbetts included on this walk: Bidein a' Chabair, Càrn Mòr (Glen Dessarry)

Date walked: 20/09/2020

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A night in the van allowed me to get up at first light and cycle along Glen Dessary to the point where the bike was stored for my return.

Video :

The cycle in was fantastic with low lying mist carpeting th efloor of Glen Dessary. The sun was shining and I struck off the main path that takes you to the Munros and headed on pathless ground for the ridge of Bidein a' Chabair. I was glad when I reach the ridge and with the weather being so fine , no navigational issues were encountered:)

After tackling the simple scramble to the summit I soaked in the views and decided it was too nice a day to head home so I took a direct route off the top to head for Corbett number two - Carn Mor. I wouldn't recommend the route I took unless you are happy negotiating rough , steep pathless ground! Dropping down to around 100m , the ascent up Carn Mor was - well - brutal!!! I eventually reached the summit rather knackered. However the day wasnt over and I still had to get back to the bike then the van! The pathless descent pack down was just as brutal as the ascent and I eventually made it back to the van as darkness was sweeping over the Glen !

Some photos :

wilkiemurray

Re: A long drop between the mountains

Postby happy highlander » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:34 pm

Fantastic video. Bidein a' Chabair is literally on my doorstep, and one I need to conquer before it's too late! Is the top really that tiny?!! :shock: I don't like exposure so have been putting it off for ages :lol:
happy highlander
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:16
Fionas:15   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland