walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Broad Law

Broad Law

Postby pruney84 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:55 pm

Route description: Broad Law, Cramalt Craig and Dollar Law

Corbetts included on this walk: Broad Law

Donalds included on this walk: Broad Law

Date walked: 26/02/2011

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 378m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the weather being quite good on Saturday and not having enough time to get further north to do a munro i decided to do a hill closer to home for me. Just out myself it was a nice little walk, not to difficult and i was hoping i might can test out my new microspikes!

The sun was out for most of the drive over passed St Mary's loch and the Megget Reservoir although when i arrived at the Megget Stone it was beginning to get cloudy, the cloud was fairly high though so it never spoilt any views for me all day.
028.JPG
Talla Reservoir

030.JPG

From a starting point of over 400metres its a fairly easy ascent with only two steepish bits, one right at the start then another steeper bit before you get to around 700m. From there on in it's a gradual ascent to the top until you reach the summit trig point and the very strange looking air traffic control building!!!
045.JPG
Summit

048.JPG
Strange..very strange

All in all the hill itself isn't the most interesting but the views around to the surrounding hills and valleys are very good and make the walk worthwhile, my favourite view was probably over to the White Combe hills with the Talla river valley, looks like it would make an interesting alternative approach to White Combe!
044.JPG

The biggest dissapointment for me was the lack of snow or ice on the hill, i didn't get to try the microspikes this time :(
Not to worry though I'm sure I'll get the use of them another day.

A nice wee walk on a decent day for it and thats me got my corbett count up and running!
pruney84
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Broad Law

Postby ChrisW » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:51 pm

love that second pic, but what the hell is that construction in the third & fourth :shock: I know it says ATC building but is it really?
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:27 am

ChrisW wrote:I know it says ATC building but is it really?

Yes, I'm pretty sure it is. Broad Law is the highest point for many miles and the S-N flight path to Edinburgh airport passes pretty much overhead so it would make sense...

pruney84 wrote:the hill itself isn't the most interesting but the views around to the surrounding hills and valleys are very good and make the walk worthwhile

My thoughts exactly :) . The surrounding valleys are remarkably steep and atmospheric 8) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby pruney84 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:00 am

Yea im pretty sure it is atc chris, its an ugly looking building to see on the hill any which way you look at it but guess its needed!

I agree leithy, looks like alot of good walks to b had round an about here! :D
pruney84
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland