walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Na Caim & Co

Carn Na Caim & Co

Postby Coutts94 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:23 pm

Route description: Càrn na Caim and A'Bhuidheanach Bheag, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: A' Bhuidheanach Bheag, Càrn na Caim

Date walked: 16/11/2020

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 824m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So I had kind of left these on the pile of "rainy day" walks, I had originally planned to do the West Four Drumochters, but as the forecast got worse, I chose a quick run up these Two Munro's :D

I had to walk Lexi anyway, so seen it as a glorified dog walk..

Before I left, I sat in the van thinking about driving home.. rain was lashing off the van and it was pretty windy.. but how could I say no to this.. :lol:

1.png
Lexi

So i set off up the land-rover track, under the power-lines then a sweeping right hand bend. It goes uphill pretty quickly and before I knew it we were on the plateau! It was pretty easy from here, I kept thinking I was getting closer and closer to Carn Na Caim as all the bumps look the same! But finally reached the summit cairn, after it blowing side-way rain and snow..

2.png
Carn Na Caims Huge Cairn

Wasn't blown away by the summit cairn, more the wind.. but the views across to Meall Chuich were actually pretty good, could also see the other drumochter Munro's now and then so at least there was some sort of view :D

Made our way back to the junction, then a nice quartz arrow pointed us down the little path..

3.png
Lexi following the path!

Then a little bit of descent and re-asecent, nothing too bad!

A'Bhuidheanach Bheag had a trig point, and the views from here were pretty good!

4.png
A'Bhuidheanach Bheag Summit Trig

Could now see right into the Cairngorms, much better view than expected!

It was rather cold so I didnt hang about, made our way back pretty quickly. The path back from here was a bit of a slog because we had seen it all before.. Think Lexi enjoyed it though!

I don't like using the word boring for any Munro's, because its the day out that counts! I found the hills themselves pretty featureless, but the views were amazing. I started off uninspired, but once out there walking it was all worth it.

Thanks for reading - as with all my Munro's, I am documenting them all in videos on Youtube ( Yes even the round ones :lol: ) So here it is:

Please subscribe if you get a chance to keep up to date with my Munro Journey, I put a lot of effort and time into my videos so would be MUCH appreciated :D
Coutts94
Mountain Walker

Munros:239   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Re: Carn Na Caim & Co

Postby Jim777 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:10 pm

Carn Na Caim was only boring because you did it as per the book and it told you what to expect.
Instead why not try doing it from a different direction - Cuaich Cottages - the start of the walk for Meall Chuaich. I’ve done it twice from there. Both times I’ve followed the track South to the Allt Coire Bhathaich crossed it and never been able to find the track it shows going uphill on the 1:25,000 map 😢😢. It’s soft and short springy heather which I found pretty tiring. My descent route both those times has been down the track on the North side of Coire Cam which does exist. This would actually be a better means of accessing Carn na Caim and if you started early enough, or in the long Summer days, it could be combined with Meall Chuaich. I know from the col between Meall Chuaich and Bogha-cloiche the ground as far as Creag Tharsuinn, A’ Mharconaich and Meallan nan Uan and Creag Liath isn’t bad going. The rest I’m uncertain about. As for A’ Bhuidheanach Bheag why not try ascending via the South West ridge and then cross over for a descent via Glas Mheall Mor, Glas Mheall Beag and Druim Coire Mhic-sith. Steep but a little more interesting. Enjoy 🙂🙂
Jim777
Mountain Walker

Re: Carn Na Caim & Co

Postby Coutts94 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:35 pm

Jim777 wrote:Carn Na Caim was only boring because you did it as per the book and it told you what to expect.
Instead why not try doing it from a different direction - Cuaich Cottages - the start of the walk for Meall Chuaich. I’ve done it twice from there. Both times I’ve followed the track South to the Allt Coire Bhathaich crossed it and never been able to find the track it shows going uphill on the 1:25,000 map 😢😢. It’s soft and short springy heather which I found pretty tiring. My descent route both those times has been down the track on the North side of Coire Cam which does exist. This would actually be a better means of accessing Carn na Caim and if you started early enough, or in the long Summer days, it could be combined with Meall Chuaich. I know from the col between Meall Chuaich and Bogha-cloiche the ground as far as Creag Tharsuinn, A’ Mharconaich and Meallan nan Uan and Creag Liath isn’t bad going. The rest I’m uncertain about. As for A’ Bhuidheanach Bheag why not try ascending via the South West ridge and then cross over for a descent via Glas Mheall Mor, Glas Mheall Beag and Druim Coire Mhic-sith. Steep but a little more interesting. Enjoy 🙂🙂

You are right, I didnt think they were boring as such but slightly dull in comparison to others :lol: Thanks for the recommendations - think I will try it in combination with Meall Chuich next summer when the daylight allows!
Coutts94
Mountain Walker

Munros:239   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland