walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Binnein Shuas

Binnein Shuas

Postby litljortindan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:30 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Binnein Shuas

Date walked: 28/11/2020

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 500m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started the day by wandering along the wrong track but did get some nice reflections in what the map names as "reservoir" rather than part of Loch Laggan. Looked at the map and decided I might as well keep going but then ran into a dead end with uninviting swamp ahead so doubled back and headed for plan A of Binnein Shuas.
Didn't take long to get round to a suitable departure point from the track; I left 1km before Lochan na Earba. I see that this is also a loch split in two but Bing maps gives both parts the full glory of a word with the "na" placed on the land between. But why a mere lochan and not a loch, when it's all of 6km long. And why is the west end of Loch Laggan so demoted?
Troubled by these cartographical inconsistencies I battled my way up Binnein Shuas's eastern flank, hoping for views along the cliffs and loch. There were fine views, too, of the arc of hills to the east and south.
After a brief struggle I got my view of cliff and loch and then ambled round a couple more crags to emerge at the top. As luck would have it this coincided with the arrival some mist. But it had plenty of breaks in it so it was good luck on this occasion.
An easy descent back to the track and I decided on a quick detour to Lochan na Earba. Nice reflections.

The day's target.

Cut off the track about 1km before Lochan na Earba.

I was trying to stick to the eastern edge to try to get views along the cliffs and loch.

Back at the track I decided to take a short detour to Lochan na Earba.

litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Binnein Shuas

Postby Sgurr » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:02 pm

Fabulous reflections of clouds in the loch. What a great day.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby jmarkb » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:31 am

Wow, you got some great shots there - lovely light and colours!

It is also possible to make a steep ascent right under the main crags on the SE side by following the climbers' paths from the end of the loch and up a heathery ramp to the point where you took the shots looking down (at 2:38 in the video).

I think "Lochan na Earba" can be explained by the fact that lochan is both the plural and the diminutive of loch in Gaelic. Not sure why the reservoir behind the Laggan Dam doesn't deserve a name on the map though!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby litljortindan » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:36 pm

Sgurr wrote:Fabulous reflections of clouds in the loch. What a great day.

A bit of broken cloud often makes things more interesting I think. Timing wise, my error in the morning got me to the lochanside at just about the right time so it all worked out well.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:46 pm

jmarkb wrote:Wow, you got some great shots there - lovely light and colours!

It is also possible to make a steep ascent right under the main crags on the SE side by following the climbers' paths from the end of the loch and up a heathery ramp to the point where you took the shots looking down (at 2:38 in the video).

I think "Lochan na Earba" can be explained by the fact that lochan is both the plural and the diminutive of loch in Gaelic. Not sure why the reservoir behind the Laggan Dam doesn't deserve a name on the map though!

I would like to be able to say I planned some late afternoon photos of the loch but it was more a product of my morning dopiness.
That other route sounds interesting; always interested in views of cliffs and crags against a watery background, as long as it doesn't get too steep.
Your lochan explanation sounds right but I don't think there can be too many other examples.
Last edited by litljortindan on Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby jmarkb » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:14 pm

litljortindan wrote:Your lochan explanation sounds right but I don't think there can be too many other examples.

There are a few places I can think of where a single "lochan" name on the map seems to refer to multiple bodies of water (the Lochan Uaine of Sgurr nan Lochan Uaine in Torridon for example) but they are all smaller ones which could be lochans in their own right! The opposite is more common - i.e. different names for parts of the same loch.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby rockhopper » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:06 pm

A good day for reflections right enough
Would echo comments above, some lovely, warm late autumn colours - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby litljortindan » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:41 pm

rockhopper wrote:A good day for reflections right enough
Would echo comments above, some lovely, warm late autumn colours - cheers :)

A surprisingly good day. I got lucky with the cloud as it was firmly lodged on some hills where others were clear.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby past my sell by date » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:21 pm

Nice report and pics. Fabulous climbing on Binnein Shuas - not too steep and covered in holds. :D :D Besides the favourite Ardverike wall (actually a slab) Kubla Khan is a great one pitched sustained severe - not hard but it never lets up
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland