walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Broughton and Trahenna in the mist

Broughton and Trahenna in the mist

Postby Justdrums » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:11 pm

Route description: Broughton Heights and Trahenna Hill circuit

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Broughton Heights, Trahenna Hill

Date walked: 29/11/2020

Time taken: 5.25 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 613m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Atmospheric day. Felt like something out of King Arthur or Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Views were limited from the tops but still a fun day.
No-1.jpg
The car park. Culter Fell in the background?

No-2.jpg
Hammer Head's in the clouds!

No-3.jpg
Culter Fell, I presume, looming in the mist.

The route partly follows the John Buchan Way. There's two memorial benches on the way. The birth years of both match my Mum's (1929) and Dad's (1924). Made me remember them.
No-4.jpg
2nd memorial bench just where you leave the Jon Buchan Way and follow the path to Broughton Heights

No-5.jpg
View from the 2nd memorial bench back down the John Buchan Way to the start.

No-6.jpg
The gate and stile between Broomy Side and Clover Law

No-7.jpg
The view on the other side of the stile. From hereon to the top of Broughton Heights at Pyked Stane Hill it was cloud all the way.

No-8.jpg
The trig lurking in the mist.

Once back at the bench and out of the cloud, headed back along the John Buchan Way, with Penvalla in the cloud ahead. The name sounds a bit Arthurian to my uneducated ears hence my thinking about the Monty Python and all that. Probably this all came to mind because of being close to Drumelzier and its links with Merlin.
No-9.jpg
Penvalla and Mid Hill

Headed up Hammer Head where I thought the view from the cairn along to Trahenna was pretty cool with the swirling cloud.
No-10.jpg

Once on Trahenna itself, it was back into the cloud.
No-11.jpg
The fence junction for the turn-off to the actual top of Trahenna

No-12.jpg
Is that Drumelzier?

The actual top of Trahenna seems to be a grassy mound.
No-13.jpg
The grassy knoll? Scratch that. Mound.

Hills being the fickle things that they are, on my way down Trahenna decided briefly to poke its top out of the mist.
No-14.jpg
Trahenna top
Justdrums
Walker

Munros:67   Corbetts:15
Fionas:17   Donalds:50+17
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:18

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland