walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

No straight rounds by Thundergay

No straight rounds by Thundergay

Postby kevsbald » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:56 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Bharrain

Date walked: 25/02/2011

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 9 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having never set foot on Arran, I had booked a full weekend over in Kildonan for some nice wee hills. As I dis-embarked at Brodick, Goatfell looked lovely and I drove down to Kildonan to meet my landlady. Beautiful views across Plodda and Ailsa Craig were not really appreciated as I just wanted to get into those hills!! I could revel in that in the mornings and evenings to come. Unfortunately my wife was working :D so it meant I'd have the weekend to myself. And as it was 1400, I knew I had limited time to get up to Pirnmill and have a wee jaunt over Beinn Bharrain. I was surprised by the twisty turny roads and it took me a while to get to the wee PO road starting point, for 1500. Gadzooks, I'd need to motor if I wanted aff before supper-time. The walk through the woods and up by the waterfall was most pleasant and my objective came into view. I had decided I would tackle the mini 'A'Chir' route along the ridge to Mullach Buidhe before the main meal tomorrow of A'Chir proper! The walk up on to the bobbly knoll was a little tricky due to the huge slabs and the holes my feet kept finding. Once on to the ridge proper, it was a pleasant wee scramble along and over some massive slabs/rocks. Much fun was had and as it was nearing 1700, I was keen to hit the summit and head back down. Unfortunately, the cloud moved in and my views weren't great but this wee Graham is a fab hill. I descended back via the corrie and was back at the car before long. A final glance back before descending into the trees saw the hill in fine early evening glow. A great wee hill, which I'd fully encourage those to not miss out on, even though the Corbett caviar in Glen Rosa/Sannox is so alluring. But that would be day 2 of my Arran escapade. I'll have the Cir Royale please..

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

arran1.jpg
Nice wee waterfall with Beinn Bharrain beyond
arran2.jpg
Darkness coming with some scrambling ahead
arran3.jpg
Nice pap of rock
arran4.jpg
Summit ahoy!
arran5.jpg
Beinn Bharrain in cloud and evening glow
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: No straight rounds by Thundergay

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:58 pm

Looks a fine afternoon out 8) . I too am an Arran virgin - something I need to rectify soon :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Merry-walker » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:23 pm

Beautiful Kev :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:20 pm

love that first shot with the waterfall :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Klaasloopt » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:54 pm

You've put Arran on my radar. A gem.
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland