walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A first glimmer of winter in Glencoe!

A first glimmer of winter in Glencoe!

Postby MtnGoat » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:20 am

Route description: Lost Valley (Coire Gabhail), Glen Coe

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 19/11/2020

Distance: 11 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Managed to get a last minute unplanned trip before lockdown kicked in for Scotland. Forecast was promising, but the last minute nature of the trip meant that I left home without a plan…… Ended up heading to Glencoe and walked up Stob Coire Sgreamhach via Corie Gabhail (the lost Valley). There had been a dusting of snow during the night and the conditions were awesome.

On the way up, I managed to rip the weather-shield off the underside as I passed Loch Lomond. Took a bit of time to remove the offending part, but more frustratingly, it damaged the diesel heater- so near zero temperatures and no heating…. I also kept on stopping on the way up the A82 to take in the views as the sun came up - how amazing is the route up the A82 on a nice morning......? Never gets old!

I love the walk up to the lost valley and I had a few cool encounters with deer. Also managed to get my new drone up for its first pictures & video up a mountain which was cool… The views from the top were stunning and it was one of those rare clear days (after having plenty that were the opposite!). The last time I came down Coire Gabhail, there was a lot more snow about and it was actually a bit easier then, as on this trip the thick ice made walking pretty treacherous.

It was getting dark as I got back to the van, so I drove a couple of miles down the glen Etive road and parked up for one last overnight before lockdown. Seems crazy that it still seems like business as usual in tiers 3 & 4, but I can’t drive north without stopping or seeing anyone at all for a solo adventure….. oh well, rules are rules……. Hopefully get back out soon.

MtnGoat
Mountain Walker

Re: A first glimmer of winter in Glencoe!

Postby R1ggered » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:58 pm

Brilliant. Great post and video young man. :clap: :clap:
R1ggered
Mountain Walker

Munros:175   

Re: A first glimmer of winter in Glencoe!

Postby MtnGoat » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:21 pm

Thank you... Much appreciated.
MtnGoat
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland