walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

St Arnold's Seat, Glenogil

St Arnold's Seat, Glenogil

Postby KatTai » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:28 am

Date walked: 05/12/2020

Time taken: 2.3 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 439m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

On another website looking for some more local walk options given Angus is in Tier 3, I found a route heading up to St Arnold's Seat in Glenogil. This hill stands out with a very visible cairn on the top but not the easiest to find anywhere to park near to go up it so I decided to give this route a try, with a bit of modification to just take in the hill. I took the turning just on the other side of Memus (signposted Burnside Farm) and followed the road all the way to the end. There was very limited places to park but found space on the verge between a grassy track to a cottage and a gate and just hoped my car was okay there! We followed the track through the gate turning onto another track to the right which ends at a gate and we then followed a wall, but at a fence a gap that I guess people used maybe for dogs was blocked off, probably because there has recently been sheep in the field, and getting the dogs to jump over wasn't the easiest but they managed it. This was the only real difficulty on the route but I did find an alternative for the descent. The wall leads to a grassy track which goes passed the ruined cottage at Anniegathel - there is a clear ATV track here heading back down through the trees and it is this I used for the return however it does pass through sheep fields, fortunately there were no sheep there when I used this for our return so no problems there and we could go that way to get back to the return track.

We followed the track passed the cottage and round a young woodland of native trees safely behind a deer fence passing through a couple of gates to reach a landrover track, here we did a dog-leg onto another track ignoring the fork to Baikies (we used this on the descent) and instead following the route alongside Took's Burn. The track passes through a gate into the forestry. After walking through the forest for a short distance we turned sharp left following a steep uphill fork taking a right at the top, the track heading downhill and we lost a bit of ascent leaving the forest and just beyond a gate turning to take a track to the left and then a bit higher up taking a track to the right that went passed some grouse butts. Though it doesn't show it on the map, this track leads all the way to the summit of St Arnold's Seat topped with a massive cairn. There were views down to Glenogil and across Angus. From the summit we went through a gate onto a fairly clear ATV track going through the heather, again not marked on the map but it is there. On the map there is a track marked and the ATV track heads to it. The track turned at a point heading the wrong way and I stopped, the good visibility meant I could see the track I wanted and I realised I had stopped right where a very faint ATV track headed down to it and so avoided having to walk across heather. Though initially hard to spot the track becomes clearer as it descends to the track on the map. We followed the track all the way to the ruins at Baikies and the return route to the car with the variation I mentioned above.

This was an enjoyable circuit, just need to find a way round with the dogs that avoids the sheep fields as I'd rather not take the dogs through those. It looks as if it could be possible to head further up the main track and cut across just before the track fords the burn, in satellite images it does look as if there is a faint track following the fenceline at least part of the way so that could be an alternative.

1.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

16.JPG

21.JPG

24.JPG

32.JPG
Flying dog...

42.JPG

45.JPG

47.JPG
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: St Arnold's Seat, Glenogil

Postby larry groo » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:53 pm

We were up above you yesterday on the Hill of Glansie. Cracking day for it indeed!

Another couple of good wee loops in that area is to park at the Glenogil road end and walk up past the reservoir and up onto Auld Darkney across to Naked Tam and back down through the woods to the reservoir again. Or extend it and drop down to the ruins at Buckies and then through the Den of Batternach.
larry groo

Re: St Arnold's Seat, Glenogil

Postby KatTai » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:31 pm

larry groo wrote:We were up above you yesterday on the Hill of Glansie. Cracking day for it indeed!

Another couple of good wee loops in that area is to park at the Glenogil road end and walk up past the reservoir and up onto Auld Darkney across to Naked Tam and back down through the woods to the reservoir again. Or extend it and drop down to the ruins at Buckies and then through the Den of Batternach.

Oops, wasn't yesterday forgot to change the date, it was Tuesday we went up :D

I've been up to the road end at Glenogil but didn't spot anywhere suitable to park that wasn't outside someones house? Though it has been a while since I tried going up there, it didn't strike me as seeming particularly friendly at the time so I've never actually been up that way again :lol:
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland