walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Cobbler

The Cobbler

Postby The-Big-Grey-Man » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:01 pm

Route description: The Cobbler, Arrochar

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Narnain

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 28/02/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1100m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

These pictures should be viewed from bottom to top, am still getting the hang of doing these reports sorry!

My first Walk Highlands report so here goes.
Never been to the Arrochar Alps before, and from what I saw I can’t understand why, especially since I don’t live all that far from them, and I will definitely be back. My plan was to Climb The Cobbler, Beinn Ime and then finally Beinn Narnain, but it didn’t quite work out like that. Weather was superb throughout the day, could hardly believe its still winter.
Attachments
Arrochar Alps 057.JPG
Ben Lomond from the summit of Beinn Narnain
The decent down Beinn Narnain over Cruach nam Miseag was pretty straight forward, but I think if I was doing this route again I would climb Beinn Narnain first then do the Cobbler last as it would be nice to have the gentle walk back towards Arrochar along the valley past the Narnain boulders.
All in all a great day out, cant wait to go back in the summer, got unfinished business with Beinn Ime.
Arrochar Alps 055.JPG
The beautiful view of the Cobbler from the summit of Beinn Narnain
Arrochar Alps 053.JPG
The view of the Cobbler from the lower slopes of Beinn Narnain, it was here i decided to leave Beinn Ime for another day, as it would of meant considering time constraints that I would of been decending from Beinn Narnain toward the car park in the dark, this would off involved trusting my life to a Petzl headtorch and three AAA batteries and am not prepared to do that. So I decided that Beinn Narnain was just enough on its own, getting to the summit was pretty straight forward.
Arrochar Alps 052.JPG
The view of Bein Narnain, Ben Vane and Ben Vorlich looking through hole in the wall from the far side
Arrochar Alps 045.JPG
The view of the south summit from the top of the central summits pinacle
Arrochar Alps 041.JPG
The Central summit
Arrochar Alps 034.JPG
The fantastic view of the central and south summits from the north summits
Arrochar Alps 029.JPG
The fantastic view of the central and south summits from the north summits
Arrochar Alps 026.JPG
The North summit which was were I went first
Arrochar Alps 020.JPG
Rather than go around the side of the Cobbler to ascend on the Stairs, went instead straight up the middle
Arrochar Alps 013.JPG
Arrochar Alps 011.JPG
Arrochar Alps 009.JPG
First view of the Cobbler
Arrochar Alps 006.JPG
The view down Loch Long
Arrochar Alps 002.JPG
The grim hamlet of Arrochar
Arrochar Alps 001.JPG
Ben Lomond as seen from the car
The-Big-Grey-Man
Munro compleatist

Re: The Cobbler

Postby thomasp67 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:12 am

I was a bit like you, I had these great hills virtually on my doorstep and never used them. I bet now you've been you'll be back many times.
thomasp67

Munros:82   Corbetts:16
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:27 am

Great pics Grey Man - and welcome to Walkhighlands!

You can reorder the pics how you like - edit your report and then look next to each attachment/photo - there is a link to 'place inline'. This puts that picture at the cursor position in your text (after you press submit - until then it just shows the code for the picture)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:50 pm

some terrific pics there, love the natural frame through the hole in the wall :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland