walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Brauch na Frith, our first Munro

Brauch na Frith, our first Munro

Postby Verylatestarter » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:02 pm

Route description: Bruach na Frithe

Munros included on this walk: Bruach na Frìthe

Date walked: 19/06/2018

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 13.8 km

Ascent: 947m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is Ben and I’s third visit to Skye, the first being when he was one, we stayed a week on loch Ainort. The second a single day’s trip from the great Glen in absolutely beautiful weather when we got as far as the Quirang. On this third visit we had the serious intent of climbing/walking up something.
1. Reconnaissance of Coire Lagan.JPG
Reconnaissance of Choire Lagan

On the 18th we visited Coire Lagan, looked at a few large boulders and the Great Stone Chute and retreated; the cloud level being well down below the peaks; as novices we felt that finding our way around the tangle of peaks above the Coire was better left to a clear day.
2 - Approach to the ridge.JPG
Approach to the ridge

On the 19th the cloud base was a little higher and taking heart from the WH report that Bruach na Frithe was one of the easier Cullin summits and it’s position making it a good viewpoint, so we went for it. We followed the WH report fairly closely but also thanks to all of those who posted individual reports. AnnieMacD’s and BobMcBob photos were particularly good, thanks guys.

We set off from the layby along the A863, there were so many people around we had to go along quiet a way to park. The cloud level was around 900m with mist and a breeze from the west (i.e. the normal conditions for Skye). The walk in was uneventful, my photos were mediocre compared to those mentioned above so I won’t detain you with them. We turned off the Bealach a Mhaim path and up into Fionn Choire, across the rubble fields and up to the Bealach nan Lice all the time keeping an eye on the cloud level, it seemed to lift a little as we progressed. Coming up onto the bealach and seeing down into Lota Corrie was something of surprise having spent so long staring of the ground on the way up.
3 - Bealach nan Lice with Sgurr na h-Uamha beyond.JPG
Bealach nam Lice with Sgurr na h-Uamha

4 - The Northweat end of the ridge, Sgurr fionn Choire in foreground.JPG
The NW end of the ridge, Sgurr na Fionn Choire in foreground

5 - The lost World beyond the Bealach.JPG
The lost World beyond the Bealach nan Lice

6 - Am Bastier end on.JPG
Am Bastier, end on

7 - The chisel like Sgurrna h-Uamha.JPG
the chisel like Sgurr a h-Uamha

Our first time on the Cullin ridge! We were immediately into the most striking scenery, Am Basteir close by, beyond it Sgurr nan Gillean and Pinnacle ridge. The eye was drawn down into the Corrie and across to Sgurr na h-Uamha, what a viewpoint that must be, one day we will be there.. We wandered about a bit and headed along the narrow arete to Sgurr a Bhasteir 898m. Rocky and narrow, projecting off the main ridge it was a superb viewpoint, with great views down towards Sliglachan and especially towards Pinnacle ridge. If this great hill was largely ignored in most reports what must the rest of the ridge be like.
8 - Sgurr a Bhasteir, a great viewpoint..JPG
Sgurr a Bhastier, a great viewpoint

9 - Pinnacle ridge beyond Am Basteir.JPG
Pinnacle ridge beyond Am Bastier

The cloud cover had lifted as we had spent time on the ridge but whilst taking pictures I sensed movement over my shoulder, turning around I saw dense cloud rolling over Brauch na Frith and it quickly engulfed us and reduced visibility to about twenty metres. We weren’t going anywhere in that so we sat down is the lee of the ridge for a snack and waited to see what would happen; wandering around in such poor visibility did not seem a good idea. Just as quickly as it arrived the cloud dispersed and we headed back towards the intersection with the main ridge.
10 - The clag closes in.JPG
The clag closes in

11 - Starting to clear.JPG
Starting to clear

12 - Ben demonstrating the effect of perspective , refer to father Ted for further guidance.JPG
Ben and Am Bastier, (note the big thing is further away, for further guidance refer to Father Ted)

13 - Approach to Sgurr a Fionn Choire.JPG
Approach to Sgurr a Fionn Choire

14 - Brauch na Frith.JPG
Brauch na Frith

15 - Am Basteir & Sgurr nam Gillean from Sgurr a Fionn Choire.JPG
Am Bastier & Sgurr nam Gillean from Sgurr a Fionn Chorie

16 - Climbers on Am basteir.JPG
Climbers on Am Bastier

17 - Slab on top of Sgurr a Fionn Choire.JPG
Slab top on Sgurr a Fionn Choire

Making our way westwards, past Bealach na Lice the first prominence we came to was Sgurr a Fionn Chorie; a large block that had a dramatic cleft and some nice easy scrambling. Making our way up a series of steps we soon reached the top (our first Munro top at 948m - although at that time we didn’t know what a Munro top was). The slope off the flat-topped block Westwards was much shallower and led down onto the main BnF path. The route to the summit was straightforward and not a steep as it looks in the photos, whilst there we hung around a bit, ben climbed the trig point and I wandered off to look at the ridge to the South towards Sgurr na Bairnich and Bidein Druim nan Ramh for future reference. Despite the fact that this was the least walked and lowest part of the ridge it looked difficult; maybe we should put off the rest of ridge for another year.
18 - Heading west to Brauch na Frith.JPG
Heading West to BnF

19 - Sgurr a Bhateir.JPG
Sgurr a Bhastier

20 - The dramatic geology of the Cullin ridge.JPG
The dramatic geology of the Cullin ridge

21 - Sgurr a Fionn Choire a Munro Top.JPG
Sgurr a Fionn Choire, a Munro Top

22 - The ridge South from Brauch na Frith.JPG
Cullin ridge looking South from the summit of BnF

23 - looking down the Northwest ridge.JPG
Looking down the NW ridge of BnF

24 - scramble down a short gulley.JPG
Scramble down a short gulley

We followed the suggested route off the summit, down the Northwest ridge, this was fairly rugged with a little scrambling. The across the more and back onto the main footpath.
25 - Northwest ridge.JPG
Northwest ridge of BnF

26 - brauch na Frith summit form Northwest ridge.JPG
BnF summit from the NW ridge

A great day out, definitely a good introduction to the Cullins. For the more adventurous I would suggest the route should be reversed, i.e. ascend via the NW ridge, this then gives the option of returning via Fionn Choire or the Bhasteir Gorge or maybe even attempting Am Basteir. Enjoy!
Verylatestarter
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   
Islands:5

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland