walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Ruadh-stac + Maol Chean-dearg - Pre-winter ascents

An Ruadh-stac + Maol Chean-dearg - Pre-winter ascents

Postby scottnairn » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:08 am

Route description: Maol Chean-dearg ascent, Coulags

Munros included on this walk: Maol Chean-dearg

Corbetts included on this walk: An Ruadh-stac

Date walked: 07/11/2016

Time taken: 8 hours

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Munro #8 - Maol Chean-dearg (with additional Corbett - An Ruadh-stac)

[i]Having never been a great fan of the cold, I was sceptical of hitting the Munro heights as the end of the year approached. Turns out, this was one of those hill days that you dream about, regardless of temperature!!!/i]

Another early start - another drive which, for any other pursuit, would seem a bit long-winded; hill walking drives seem to pass in a flash and the boots are on, the feet are moving and the sleep is swept from weary eyes. Arriving at Coulags just before sunrise, the temperature was frigid but winds were light to non-existent. No worry of midges this late in the year, so this walk would be pleasant from the get-go. Joining me again (after a ski season, if I remember correctly) was Eugene M. Eugene's outdoor pursuits are far more varied than mine and we had discussed fell and trail running in photography and sporting senses before this trip - trying to synchronise our thoughts to create some memorable images of his newest sporting focus. I much prefer to walk, anyway :lol: :lol:

The track for the vast majority of the route was immaculate and so was the weather. Early on, it was apparent that we would enjoy a stark contrast to our June 2016 day on Carn Eige, Beinn Fhionnlaidh and Mam Sodhail in Glen Affric.
100DShot-9046.jpg
The first light lands on Sgorr Ruadh

The lower November sun rose behind us, lighting the way with intensity - but the walk itself was full of conversation, intrigue and photography practice. Before long, we reached the Coire Fionnairaich bothy; no doubt a poorly kept secret by this point but an incredible example of a bothy and well worth a snoop around.
100DShot-9051.jpg
Crossing the Fionn-Abhainn

100DShot-9058.jpg
The remarkable bothy

100DShot-9063.jpg
Local coo brew

100DShot-9074.jpg
Modern male mountain model - photoshoot going well

Back on the track, it wasn't long before we passed the tether stone of Fionn the Giant and branched off to start climbing. The light had been exceptional all morning and I wanted to capitalise, so the number of photos probably outweighed the normal 'distance covered:photos taken' ratio. Catching a glimpse of Maol Chean-dearg spurred us on, yet the views behind through the glen and to the Achnashellach peaks held us back.
100DShot-9079.jpg
Rounding Meall nan Ceapairnean, revealing Maol Chean-dearg

100DShot-9115.jpg
Above it all - an aircraft streams over Sgorr Ruadh summit

Rising steadily, we reached the bealach atop the quartzite path and were greeted by a sumptuous figure of a mountain - the Corbett, An Ruadh-stac! At this point, our ponderings as to recreating a fell-running mega photo were all but confirmed. I had reservations about including the Corbett in the day but when it came down to it, the photo ops were too good and the mountain looked like a dream - so I would shoot as Eugene took to the trail running, promising to catch up before long.
100DShot-9160.jpg
An Ruadh-stac, a true show stopper of a scene!

100DShot-9159.jpg
Logistics - lochan style

Whilst the slabs seem within very close proximity, alas, it soon became difficult to shout over instructions and I slowly gained ground, beginning my ascent from the sizeable lochan. Compositionally, the idea was for Eugene to run up the flanks of An Ruadh-stac, a silhouette under duress. Whilst we did get some nice shots, it wasn't quite as engaging a scene as intended - trying to do justice to the area and the activity. My adventure photography still needed some work!
100DShot-9185.jpg
Speeding upwards

100DShot-9197.jpg
Still like this one!

100DShot-9197-3.jpg
You get the idea!

A few scattered words echoed between peak and lochan, and it was time for me to haul myself and my gear up the mountain. I remember being significantly 'out of puff' by the time I caught up to Eugene, who was now feeling the sting of the cold having waited so long :lol:
100DShot-9222.jpg
Reunited and climbing again

100DShot-9227.jpg
Nearing the An Ruadh-stac summit

100DShot-9238.jpg
Summit views of Beinn Damph, Beinn na h-Eaglaise, Maol Chean-dearg and Torridon beyond

The hill posed no great difficulty but was steeper than anticipated in parts - perhaps could have been more serious with a proper lie of snow or in wet conditions. Fortunately, we reached the summit and got a good view across to Maol Chean-dearg. Sizing it up, I think it was almost a flip of earlier proceedings - I did not want to do An Ruadh-stac, but was coaxed into it, whereas Eugene wasn't feeling too great on bagging Maol Chean-dearg after this successful ascent. I convinced him to keep going as it looked much simpler from here and surely "wouldn't take too long".
100DShot-9260.jpg
The bald red head reflecting in Loch a Mhadaidh Ruadh

Having trailed behind for so long, I opted to put the camera away and do some real work for a change, and despite the urge, I left the camera in the bag for the ascent of Maol Chean-dearg. Given it was a Munro, tackled after a Corbett, it was fairly straightforward, aided by the distinguished path most of the way. Lunch was taken at the summit, with the vista of choice being north to the Torridon peaks, dusted sufficiently with snow. The presence of snow was notable on all tops, and meant my summit photos were rushed on account of my freezing companion and my hands. It would have been excellent to stay for longer but it was fairly nippy!!
100DShot-9263.jpg
Fine perch for a sandwich break

100DShot-9282.jpg
Snow covered Beinn Damh

100DShot-9287.jpg
Beinn Liath Mhor's rollercoaster

100DShot-9288.jpg
Patience of a saint, waiting on the photographer

100DShot-9295.jpg
But wait, there's more!

Having been on the go since first light, and having had roughly 0% in the way of views last outing, we were blessed with a dazzling west coast sunset show, as the rays streamed through the cloud over Applecross, Kishorn and the coastline.
100DShot-9296.jpg
Crepuscular rays over the Applecross peninsula

A couple more photos for good measure, and it was high time we headed for lower ground. Back to the car just as darkness set in - a truly astounding full day out. Roughly 8 hours of cold, beautifully situated exploration!
Attachments
100DShot-9273.jpg
Torridon B/W
100DShot-9069.jpg
Follow the Abhainn
scottnairn
Mountain Walker

Munros:123   Corbetts:42
Fionas:17   
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:3

Re: An Ruadh-stac + Maol Chean-dearg - Pre-winter ascents

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:48 am

Lovely report. Your photos have really made me smile. Very different to the claggy windy day I went up last year, and a real joy to see the views I was missing :D
EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:28
Fionas:12   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:41   Islands:24

Re: An Ruadh-stac + Maol Chean-dearg - Pre-winter ascents

Postby scottnairn » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:55 pm

EmmaKTunskeen wrote:Lovely report. Your photos have really made me smile. Very different to the claggy windy day I went up last year, and a real joy to see the views I was missing :D

Thank you Emma - I'm very glad to hear it! Looking back now, and even before, I realised just how lucky we were with such weather - it took something like 2 years to get a similar weather window the next glen over!!
You must pen a re-visit in - I've been back to Coulags several times and it only gets better!

Take care, cheers!
P.s just read your report from Lynwilg with the white tailed Eagle and all the various wildlife, exquisite eye and a delight to read/see!
scottnairn
Mountain Walker

Munros:123   Corbetts:42
Fionas:17   
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:3

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland