walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two in the Log - decent pace too!

Two in the Log - decent pace too!

Postby Lipeshends » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:43 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn an Dòthaidh, Beinn Dòrain

Date walked: 14/06/1991

Time taken: 3.67 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another verbatim copy of notes from my handwritten Log. Another day in the hills nearly 30 years ago.... When I climbed these I did not even know that Dorain was pronounced 'Dore-an' and not 'doh-Rain. It took an elderly English lady on a train journey TV show to say it right and the part of my brain that knew Gaelic stresses the first syllable fired and I knew she was correct. An entry in the log at this point claims 'it's already obvious we'll do em all in time' - alas I am still on 155 at time of writing and three decades have passed. :shock:

Steve Called off; Dad wimped out so I went by myself. Nae significant bevvy on previous night. Unhindered :wink: by Stumpy, did both and back in car in 3 hours 40 mins - no bad for a fat boy eh?

Had to route find a wee bit on Dorain but path fairly obvious. Once again no view - this time it never lifted. Took 1 hr 5 to gain bealach slightly up the Dorain side then 35 mins to summit. Nae conversation, nae view, nae pit-stops leads to a fast time. Some lying snow; rain all the way up from the col. One circumnavigation of cairn and down again. 20 minutes to low point of col then up steep path on Beinn an Dothaidh. This quickly became indistinct and I reverted to the fall-line approach - if you're going up you'll get there. Two or three indistinct summits, broad flat , boring - went to all the cairns just in case.

On return I followed the line of 'summits' until aware of "temporary uncertainty with respect to position". Terrain flat and boggy and the map says I'm in one of two spots. If off course to the right (which was direction I'd been veering) then South would lead to two prominent streams (steep). If instead I was off to the left (less likely) then South would return me to the col. So I walked south. The descent of the streams was very steep and eventually became a scramble, then a buttress between the streams. I trusted I could find an escape and continued almost to convergence, then stepped out to the right.

Met an old chap taking piccies of local flora in the exit amphitheatre [ tri-pod, lights, super close, posh camera etc]. He was most impressed at the time taken for my sojourn and I was well chuffed.

This time managed a soggy jog to the car. Great day.
Lipeshends
Mountain Walker

Munros:160   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland