walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Geal Charn, Drumochter

Geal Charn, Drumochter

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:03 pm

Munros included on this walk: Geal-chàrn (Drumochter)

Date walked: 23/02/2020

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 7.7 km

Ascent: 493m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The way things were looking virus-wise (me getting jumpy when a student sneezed), this was probably going to be my last chance of a hill day for a while. However, it was also a pretty grim weather forecast, so something not too off the beaten track was in order.

I'd not stopped at the Balsporran Cottages before, for an A' Mharconaich and Geal Charn circuit.

...And...it wasn't quite going to be an"A' Mharconaich and Geal Charn" day today either :lol: - just Geal Charn in the end.

Image003 Bit iffier at Drumochter by Emma Kendon, on Flickr (Bit iffier than up the road at Kingussie, that is.)

Image004 Looking back down towards A9 by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

Image007 Fresh snow depth by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

It swiftly went from fairly benign to a white-out. And soon it was crampons-time.

Image008 First crampons outing proper by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

Skiers had been arriving at Balsporran Cottages, including a group from Glenmore Lodge. As I cramponed up, and more skiers were coming up the hill, I realised I was the only walker! I felt as though I'd not got the memo that it wasn't fancy-dress :oops: In all there were four of us that day, but yes, a guy did ask me where my skis were :think:.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, until at a particularly wind-blasted junction I stopped beside a couple of skiers who introduced themselves as Alistair and John. They kind of adopted me, and suggested we summit together. It actually worked really well because I was navigating on compass while John was on GPS, but he was finding it really hard to see in the blizzardy conditions. So they kept me company - no wildlife for me on this jaunt! - while I kept them on track every time they veered wildly off course.

Then my compass went bananas (I always have a spare), and John took over with his phone. Hard going in ski boots - they were struggling, skis on, skis aff, and brakes were sticking in the down position when they should have been off in the up position. I waited for them, and by the time we got to the summit cairn we were quite the cheerful little wind-blasted team. We all agreed any one of us might have decided to turn back here and there had we been alone, but in company, it was nice to encourage one another to press on.

Image010 John and Alastair at summit by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

At the top there was a little huddle of skiers in their shelter, which acted like a beacon. We were shelter-less though, and it was too chilly to hang about, so regretfully conceding A' Mharconaich wasn't on the cards for any of us, back we went. I'd fished out my other compass, took our bearing and we were followed down by some other skiers and their dog. All of us joining forces in another white-out, we finally hit a nice patch for the skiers to don their skis and for me to say goodbye.

Image011 Skiers on descent by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

Image016 Meall Chuaich - Munro - over A9 by Emma Kendon, on Flickr - (dotterel on there apparently: must explore when I'm not banned any more...)

As I descended, I stopped to take in the wonderful light on the other side of the A9, and looked for my companions to schuss past, but they never came. So maybe they had more ski and brakes difficulties. Some others gave me a pause for thought and readiness to help if needed, but not for long.

Image014 Skiers above in a spot of something by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

All the ski groups had each other and there were plenty more folk on the hill, even some coming up at about 2.30. And my hill-mojo, which had taken a bit of a beating with meh conditions, was restored.

Image013 Folk coming up on my descent by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

Image017 Creagan Doire Dhonaich above the A9 by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

Image018 A'Bhuidheanach for dotterels by Emma Kendon, on Flickr - (another one for another time)

Image019 Geometry on Creagan Doire Dhonaich by Emma Kendon, on Flickr

Image020 South down the A9 by Emma Kendon, on Flickr
EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:28
Fionas:12   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:41   Islands:24

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland