walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Suilven walk

Suilven walk

Postby Johnob22 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:16 pm

Route description: Suilven

Fionas included on this walk: Suilven

Date walked: 31/07/2020

Time taken: 8.5 hours

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I decided to walk Suilven as soon as the travel restriction was lifted. The following is a short summary of my walk and is purely my opinion and based on my level of walking experience.
I was lucky enough to have good weather. One of the things that I was apprehensive about was driving up the narrow single track road from Lochinver, therefore I was relieved to reach the small parking area. I set off very early and was soon on the path leading to Suilven. it provided a fantastic view of Suilven which I had only seen in photos before the walk. Walking along the path Suilven never seemed to get any closer, but I was not complaining, just enjoying the views. It would be extremely prudent for anyone thinking of attempting this to be confident and fit enough for the length of walk to and from Suilven.
The walk up the gulley was very steep and quite challenging. In some parts the path was very good, in others there were patches of loose stones, and at one point in the upper section there was a point where a short scramble was necessary.
I reached the saddle and enjoyed the fabulous views, ahead of me was a very exposed scramble up to the top, walkers should be aware of this and great care is needed.
I was rewarded with fantastic views in every direction , and I kept in mind that dropping back down, from both the ridge where scrambling was required, and down the path, would demand great concentration.
I was relieved to reach the bottom and back on the normal path that would lead me back to the small car park. I could enjoy the views of Suilven on the way back as it had different characteristics from morning to afternoon.
Again, I had apprehension about the drive along the narrow single track road to Lochinver. I was relieved not to encounter and cars travelling travelling towards me.
I am aware that other people may not have the same apprehension as I have about these narrow roads, but it prudent to be aware of them.
I thoroughly enjoyed the walk and had wanted to walk up this iconic mountain for some time.
Attachments
IMG-20200708-WA0004.jpg
Johnob22
Scrambler

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland