walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie- Reasonably pleasant

Ben Chonzie- Reasonably pleasant

Postby soulminer » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:34 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 02/03/2011

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had discussed the weather situation with Doogz, and the destination was Crieff/Loch Earn area. My day off, and one of Doogz' several days off- Jules let him off the decorating for the day :lol:
The Silver Hearse pulled up at 06:15 and we were motorway bound. Talked p**h, laughed and gave idiots pelters :lol: just the usual hill bound journey for two of the T.P.W.C :)
Comrie turn off, along the road and parked in the area for walkers. suited booted and off for 07:50.
There was a small nip in the air for a short time, but we soon warmed up as we started to walk the track. Stopped a couple of times for a small refreshment- refuelling does no harm 8)
The view behind us

Kept up the pace till we reached the cairn on our left, then set off uphill heading for the fence-line. Another view back

All the time we watched out for the infamous abundant hares. Saw two only- here's one of them

Hit the fence line and followed it up to the cairns on the ridge to the summit, hung a right and headed for the sit in shelter. By this time there was a slight wind with associated ' bloody coldness' about it :shock: - I know ,cold winds in winter :lol:
Doogz stole the best seat, while I just had to snap a few quick photos. So cold I even made a balls up of one of the Pano shots - which I will still include :lol:

Frozen fingers!!!!!

Stayed for about half an hour on the summit, then had to go- bitter :shock:
Made our way back down towards the car. Met a chap on his way up, stopped to talk for a time and he said
" I know you " , shock :shock: He did , I had not seen him for about 25/30 years. Amazing what happens on a wee walk :lol:
soulminer

Re: Ben Chonzie- Reasonably pleasant

Postby TheOldCodger » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:13 pm

The guy you met: short beard, goatie-like and blue kit?

I did the hill from the Glen Turrett side today, leaving much later than you folks. Was up at the cairn at 1, just as the mist came doon! Could hear a voice as I got to the top but could see no-one, then I saw this geezer on the phone by the cairn. No-one else around. Missed you by not much. Lots of hares on my side though. Glen Turrett has fewer views for the first 90 minutes, but then you do a nice round back to the dam. Next time you're slated to do this hill, try that side. Mind ye, the road up the dam is murder, potholes the size of Wales all over the place.
TheOldCodger
Munro compleatist

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:20 pm

Best pics I've seen of Ben Chonzie 8)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:66   Donalds:43
Sub 2000:115   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:134   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby kinley » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:30 pm

:D One I really want to go back up 8)

Love the hare standing on hind legs watching you 8)
kinley

Munros:282   Corbetts:215
Grahams:146   Donalds:25
Sub 2000:39   

Postby 2dalmatians » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:57 pm

I walked Ben Chonzie last weekend, had a great day, but have to agree with PW - your pics are superb!
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Grahams:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:22 pm

Great report "associated ' bloody coldness'" had me laughing - pics are fantastic too - really enjoyed this, thanks :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Graeme D » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:16 pm

Enjoyed that soulminer. Love the feel of the pictures looking along the line of old fenceposts towards Lawers and co. This hill, although much maligned, has a special place in my affections. Got to say though, that your title is doing little to dispel the rather dull reputation, although it is the latest in a fascinating line of report titles you're churning out! :lol: What's going to be next? "Mount Keen - not too offensive!" ???? :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm also due a return trip up here - may have to consider this route. :D
Graeme D

Munros:223   Corbetts:105
Grahams:65   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:56   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

Postby soulminer » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:37 pm

I just like to understate :lol: Sitting on the 'fenceline' of pessimistic optimism :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maybe Mount Keen would merit a 'No bad' :)
soulminer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland