walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pre-birthday hill: Carn Glas-choire

Pre-birthday hill: Carn Glas-choire

Postby malky_c » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:18 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Càrn Glas-choire

Date walked: 20/12/2020

Time taken: 3.9 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 490m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Grahams: Carn Glas-choire.
Date: 20/12/2020.
Distance: 14 km.
Ascent: 490m.
Time: 3 hours, 55 minutes.
Weather: Mostly overcast, breezy on the summit. Couple of small showers.

The luxury of going out on the hills on my birthday wasn't available this year as I had to work instead. In fact we weren't going to bother going out today either, but the threat of more lockdown on Boxing Day pushed us to make the most of our days off beforehand! Carn Glas-choire was a nice easy walk on good tracks, and fairly close to home, so seemed like a good bet. We parked at a large area of forestry commission hardstanding a short distance south of Auchterteang and set off.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Setting off

The forecast was for strong-ish wind today, but we weren't really bothered by it until higher up (although it was definitely a bit on the cold side). Once past the farm buildings, the track rose up but the surface was good. I had last been this way 10 years ago and couldn't remember if the surface was this good last time - should we have cycled? Another thing I couldn't remember is the little gorge that the Garrocher Burn runs down - with relatively recent tree planting, this is wild and impressive.

Garrocher Burn

South to Geal Charn and Meall a' Bhuachaille

Digging a bigger hole

We had a quick look at the tin bothy as we passed - the back door is unlocked but the floor is covered in sheep sh*t, so it wouldn't make a particularly cosy stop.

Garrocher bothy (a bit rough inside)

Behind the bothy, we began the main climbing of the walk. Again the track remained good, and once in sight of the summit across the corrie, we stopped for lunch. The steepest part of the climb was beyond this, followed by a new stone track across the plateau which definitely wasn't there previously. This left us with about 50m of ascent across moss and grass, following a quad bike track. This looked easy but was surprisingly soft and slithery. Still, it didn't take us long to reach the summit.

Heading towards Carn Glas-choire

Creag na h-Iolaire

Looking back towards the Cairngorms

Cairngorms are somewhere in there

Last bit to the summit - soft!

East to Ben Rinnes

NW to Carn nan Tri-tighearnan

Summit photo

East from the summit

The wind had been against us for this final ascent, and it was a bit unpleasant here, so we didn't hang around. At least there were views! I had approached this hill from near Slochd a couple of years ago (shorter but rougher), and I'm still keen to try another line from the Findhorn, but this was the easiest route for today.

Across to the Monadhliath

Cairngorm plateau finally clear

We made good time on the way back out, reaching the car before total darkness. Another stop by the bothy gave us the breather we needed for the final 3 mile march. With 3 more non-working days available before 'lockdown', we wondered what else we might manage...
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Pre-birthday hill: Carn Glas-choire

Postby Hills4dogs » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:57 am

Hi Malky
Was thinking of doing this hill by bike as I have been told to rest my knee by the Dr. I noticed you mentioned it being potentially cyclable but I also noticed that BP mentioned locked gates in an earlier report. When you went up were the gates unlocked?
Thanks
Hills4dogs
Mountain Walker

Munros:123   Corbetts:16
Fionas:19   
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:5

Postby malky_c » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:32 pm

I’m afraid I can’t remember! We don’t remember climbing any gates so I’m guessing the one Blackpanther mentioned was unlocked. Couldn’t be 100% certain of that though.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Hills4dogs » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:04 pm

Thanks
Hills4dogs
Mountain Walker

Munros:123   Corbetts:16
Fionas:19   
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:5

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland