walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Suilven Night Out

Suilven Night Out

Postby HeroHeroine » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:19 am

Route description: Suilven

Fionas included on this walk: Suilven

Date walked: 09/08/2020

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 842m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was a wonderful walk with an overnight bivvy on the top of the mountain to fully enjoy the sunset over to the West and a spectacular sunrise over the East.
A clear view of Cuillins on Skye.
Recommended to take the bike and cycle in along the forest track to the start of the path up Suilven. Easy going track.
The path is steep and narrow, but great with rewarding views in all directions.
The view from the top is spectacular all around.

We parked at the crowded car park at the start of the walk and headed along the track in the sweltering sun. It was a beautiful August day. The path was fairly busy due to the excellent weather. As I covered the long dusty miles on foot, I wished I had taken my bicycle with me. It would have been a lovely enjoyable cycle in.

I had wanted to climb Suilven for a long time, and finally that day had come. It was something special to see this distinctive peak rising high into the azure sky.
20200808154123_IMG_3418.jpg

Most of the route felt like is going alongside the mountain rather than towards it. Finally the path narrowed and a steeper incline started. The path was heading directly for the mountain.Once we reached the foot of the Suilven, the path turned into a very steep climb up the side of this rugged, weathered mountain.
It was a tough climb up to the bealach, but totally worth it, as the views from there are spectacular.
20200808180333_IMG_3438.jpg

Now we only had the last summit push to do. We passed a few tents on the way to the summit. A few more people had the same idea as us, it was a great night to spend up there. When we reached the summit and found more hikers setting up their tents.
20200808194041_IMG_3476.jpg

We were the only two with nothing more than a bivvy bag. I think it gives you a more raw and genuine experience than sleeping in a tent. You are more exposed to the elements and thus more connected to the natural environment.
20200808204959_IMG_3494.jpg

The air was fresh and the sky was so clear that it was possible to see for miles and miles. We could clearly pick out the Cuillin Ridge on Skye which would be approx. 120km as the crow flies. Incredible.
The sunset over the western isles was a bit cloudy, but nevertheless, the colourful reflection of the sun on the clouds was stunning.
20200808194442_IMG_3483.jpg

The night was a bit windy. I was all wrapped up into my bivvy bag, but now and then I poked my head out just to take in the view of the star laden sky above me.

The sun rose nice and early. The intense red horizon was glowing for hours before the sun rose above the hills in the distance.
20200809034449_IMG_3508.jpg

The colour intensity and change was unbelievable. As the sun rose higher in the sky, the sun rays lit up the ridge of Suilven and all the higher mountains all around.
20200809044554_IMG_3570.jpg

I seek these moments, as they enrich my life. The natural beauty and wonders are what I live for.
20200809044939_IMG_3572.jpg

After the spectacular sunrise, we packed up, went for a wee wonder towards the second summit, and walked back out. The steep climb down can be harsh on your knees, but luckily it is only a short section. The walk out was easy and relaxing in the cooler morning air before the sun heated up the day.
20200809061102_IMG_3589.jpg
HeroHeroine
Mountaineer

Munros:54   Corbetts:14
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:19

Re: Suilven Night Out

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:26 pm

Great pictures. Amazing that so many people camped out up there but what a place to spend the night.
Cheers :D
Sunset tripper

Re: Suilven Night Out

Postby maxie23 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:19 am

Fantastic stuff.
Loved the photos. :clap:
Well done.

Regards
maxie23

Munros:67   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland