walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A different perspective on Ben Chonzie...camera 2

A different perspective on Ben Chonzie...camera 2

Postby doogz » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:23 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 03/03/2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Chonzie

2nd March 2011

Davy(soulminer) and Me

4 hours (with 30 mins on the summit) 8)

ascent 830m

weather fabulous till last 100m ....really really cold

spoke to Dave last night and with the west looking to get panelled with low cloud and winds to strong above Perth....

Had a Plan to repeat Ben Y Hon myself sometime soon ...not everyones cup o tea but a real bonus for me to do it first time with inversion added

Unfortunately davy was having none of it and took him 10 mins to revert to

"i suppose its a walk""

""will need to do ""

:wink: :wink:

So off for 0620 to beat the Bridge traffic and easily through the roadworks getting to Braco in no time at all
Comrie was lovely as we passed through the still asleep residents frosted and icy streets at 0730

parked up and ready to walk for about 8 we were in the cold shade initially as we started ove the dry river bed at the wee dam and easily picking up height

we looked around as we had passed through the farm to see the almost AUTUMNAL colours behind the parking spot...

Swishing up the track its like a summers morning as no jackets required as we make a dent in the inital part of the walk only briefly looking behind to catch the now enveloping views of Ben More ...and Ben Vorlich surrounded by the morning clouds which seemoingly are being held at bay by some wonderous force

We stuck with the track far longer than on my previous time here and it paid handsome dividends as the wee top to the south Meall na Seide is holding its winter coat and with the early morning sun ....looking lovely

Ahead we are confronted by a rather irate hare who is miffed to have to leave its cover and now race around thumping its feet on the icy tops

and after making the corner as to say ,another who uses his maximum height to watch for us

Th wind from the NW is now absolutely freezinfg changing us from summer walkers to winter walkers in just a few short minutes

The run up to the summit is different as i either didnt notice the cairns in a line last time due to the cloud height or they were not there :roll: :roll:

Too bad if you thi=ought they were summit cairns as you have not got much more height to gain

Arriving in the snow filled summit i immediately dig in a bit to get a seat out of the biting cold wind.....while dave goes on his search of some cool photos with his new camera

i can get my sarnies and coffeee and get some shots

Out East looks like its the best place for clear tops as the Lochnagar hills and sundays hills are basking in the winter sunshine

The lawers range have totally clear slopes and as we chat we can watch the western winds eke out a place to hide some more clouds ...the glens slowly filling as we watch

And Schiehallion grab some of the passing mist for its own

Now in the south the clouds are being pressed into shape for some inversion type formation and the sun beating off the top of the clouds making them look like snow covered slopes

The high cirrus clouds are bing whisked into a frenzy high above the more dense low formations

The cloud feeding along Loch tay is now making the Lawers range seem shorter and more stunning

After half an hour almost its time to go as we are now decidedly colder as the wind picks up more strength and bringing the mists from afar with it

looking back just 2 minutes after leaving reveals it has already grasped the top of Ben Y Hon and is rapidly forming a layer ...

And in front is being sent swiftly to bar the views of our descent route and all this in just a few minutes

The lighs as it was happening were almost HYPNOTISING asnd i am so pleased my short journey on a seeming ....so called...not in my opinion DULL MUNRO

Within another couple of minutes the clear is re installed and the expansive BIG SKY views return

A last stroll over the iced up snow and soon we shall be descending in a more direct manner to get out the fresh wind

on our direct descent the last views of a magical Lawers range is on i wont forget and it summed up our day just perfect

In front the wall of cloud now retreats back over as far as Ben Vorlich and we spring down the hillside with the extensive and beautiful views ahead for me to ogle ...

Back on the track way way farther down its jackets off time as its back to summertime and we meet our only other walker of the day not long before the dam

HE says to Davy..."""DAE AH KNOW YOU?""

Davy..""you fae Johnstone""

guy...""AYE""

wel the next 5 mins were spent reminiscing about the 80's and drugs and drink and whos who and more drugs and lots more drink and hazy pub days and Music and .....

All this from a guy who didnt want to come here .... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

Back at the car changed and home the long way thru St Fillans Aberfoyle over the Dukes pass and finally Balloch where a coffee in Macd's hits a spot
all the way the weather was rubbish from the end of Loch Earn to Erskine Bridge where it cleared again to Glasgow sunny skies

Next walk planned SUNDAY.....heres to another great day

FINGERS Xed

Hope you enjoy

Doogz 8)
doogz

Re: A different perspective on Ben Chonzie...camera 2

Postby Merry-walker » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:32 pm

stunning pictures

enjoyed reading this 8) :)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Grahams:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Bod » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:00 am

Yip, enjoyed reading this too. We're off tomorrow morning, cheers for the insight :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:49
Grahams:30   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:7   Islands:24

Postby jimandandrea » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:56 am

Really enjoyed reading this and to see the views that alluded us when we went up in February. We didn't even get to see a mountain hare just its paw print!
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:263   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:214   

Postby csjoiner » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:11 am

Merry-walker wrote:stunning pictures

enjoyed reading this 8) :)

yes i agree stunning pics
csjoiner
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:1
Grahams:1   Donalds:1

Postby jester » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:53 am

Nice photos, looked like a good day out. 8)
jester
Munro compleatist

Munros:117   Corbetts:13
Grahams:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland