walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Miles of views from Mile Hill

Miles of views from Mile Hill

Postby Alfachick » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:42 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Mile Hill

Date walked: 03/01/2021

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 7.48 km

Ascent: 240m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

activity_6048106791.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The route taken.

I took the "classic" route in from the North. Parking at the old gatehouse to Balintore castle. On a quick side note does anyone else here follow the restoration blog for that? It really is some epic reading!

Anyway, I walked along the track past the woods and sadly a generations old dump for the locals it seems, lots of old fridges, freezers, tvs and washing machines. Not great for the environment all those potential CFCs being released into the atmosphere, not to mention the other contaminants and the general eyesore of it. I had to endure it so, so will you.

Mile Hill - 1 (5).jpg
Generation dumping ground

Following the track round the edge of the woods, and the edge of the felled woods the objective stays in view.

Mile Hill - 1.jpg
Mile Hill on the approach

A brisk walk along easy going farm track with a couple of gates to navigate. Past Gairlaw and round the track a bit looking for an easy way up. Found a 4x4 track leading up through a field to a gate at the top of the field onto the hill proper. So started the inevitable up. Its quite a steep wee hill this especially for my post Christmas indulgence self. The 4x4 track peeters out pretty quickly after passing through the gate at the top of the field so its a case of choosing your line of attack and just going for it.

Gained the top and gained the views, and they were pretty good ones considering the diminutive size of this hill.

Mile Hill - 1 (2).jpg
Loch of Lintrathen in the middle distance

Mile Hill - 1 (3).jpg
Looking south east

Mile Hill - 1 (4).jpg
Rainbow over Cat Law

Return was by the same route. I have to admit I was not keen on doing this hill, hubby had to chase me out the door this morning. Glad to have done it, unlikely to return.
Alfachick
Bird-watcher

Munros:39   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:35   
Wainwrights:2   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland