walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Return at last to Lochinver Larder (& Stac Pollaidh)

Return at last to Lochinver Larder (& Stac Pollaidh)

Postby Jaxter » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:21 pm

Route description: Stac Pollaidh ridge and circuit

Fionas included on this walk: Stac Pollaidh

Date walked: 07/08/2020

Time taken: 3.35 hours

Distance: 5.92 km

Ascent: 605m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Mummy and Daddy Clark were still staying with us. Malky and I were desperate to visit the Lochinver Pie Shop now it had reopened (and we double checked it too after our spectacular fail at Cocoa Mountain!!) and suggested making it a road-trip and climbing Stac Pollaidh, the only hill in Assynt I stood a chance of getting up.

Malky organised the folks and we were able to get away at the respectable time of shortly after 10. It was a relatively relaxed drive and it took us just over 2 hours to Lochinver.

It was almost lunchtime, but we reckoned we had time to pop into the picture shop. About 5 minutes later, a wallets a lot lighter we had solved Malky's very bare walls and my Mum's birthday. Success!

Next - the pie shop! Instead of their usual restaurant set-up they were now using a large catering truck with a one-way system where we ordered, and then collected just around the corner. It all felt relatively safe (and that's coming from someone who is very uncomfortable with being around anyone at the moment!) The smells were incredible 8)

We hopped in the car and found a lovely spot just down the road near Inverkirkaig where we could eat our pies and enjoy the views 8) We had finished our Lochinver pie stash during lockdown, and although I'd made some pretty good replicas, they didn't come close to the real thing!

After enjoying our pies we continued around to Inverpolly. Of course this involved stopping for lots of pictures which wasn't exactly a hardship. After reading of other people's experiences we were actually surprised that it wasn't hugely busy - and on a warm sunny Saturday too!

Cul Mor, Cul Beag & Stac Pollaidh

Stac Pollaidh and some of Malky's brethren

Suilven and Cul Mor

Loch Lurgainn, Beinn an Eoin and the Coigach hills

As we approached Stac Pollaidh the parking has spilled out for miles down the road, some parked more considerately than others. As it was later in the afternoon we tried the car park and slotted straight into a space - well jammy :lol:

The views were already incredible 8) After a small amount of fuss, we were off. The initial climb is the worst bit - steep from the off, narrow, making passing people difficult, and through trees which meant midges were hanging about given the lack of breeze.

Soon we were out of the worst though, and able to enjoy the wonderful views down the loch towards Cul Beag

Stac Pollaidh ahead

It was very warm and we were all full of pie (that's our excuse anyway) so it was slow going. This suited me fine as I wouldn't be capable of going any faster :lol:

There were 3 deer grazing on a hillock - I'd not got the big lens with me so had to make do with some zooming..

Loch Lurgainn

The path turned around the back of Stac Pollaidh and got steeper. Unfortunately it also sheltered us from whatever wind there was, with the obvious result of midges coming out to play...

But also - Suilven!!

Cul Mor

Malky's Dad had got ahead of us, and by the time we had caught up he was regaling another family with stories of his seafaring days, whilst sharing his bottle of Smidge as the midges seemed to be swarming around them. We decided the better way of dealing with it was to keep moving :lol: Malky's Mum took the spare car key and continued on the circular path, whilst the 3 of us continued to the col.

The Cape Wrath hills visible of the sky line

Jaxtering on a pinnacle!

It was quite busy here, so I took Malky around the edge to introduce him to the western summit, where we met another person (first time I'd ever met someone on this summit!)

Cul Beag and Loch Lurgainn

Looking out towards the Summer Isles

We made our way back along the narrow path and met back up with Daddy Clark who said he would join us for some of the ridge.

It was so nice to be on something that felt like a real mountain 8)

We all made it along to the "bum shuffle bit" - this is my least favourite part of the climb, but I'd always done it on foot. Malky thought it was hilarious that someone who uses their ass for everything had never thought to bum shuffle :lol: We got across no problem, before coaxing Daddy Clark across too.

Malky managed to hop up the climb no problem, I went for my usual wee squeeze around the side, but couldn't persuade Daddy Clark to join us. He said he would have a cup of tea and wait for us

Impressive or what :shock:

The Summer Isles

Point of Stoer on the right

Suilven with Quinag to the left

Jaxtering on Stac Pollaidh

Fannaichs

Seana Braigh and the Beinn Dearg hills

Northern Skye

Happy to be on a hill 8)

After enjoying having the summit to ourselves we headed back (last glimpse of Suilven)

We had an audience as other folks were wondering how to get up and they had been directed to watch us :lol: It wasn't dignified but the couple managed to get up the way I'd gone - we hoped they'd be ok getting back again!

We descended down my gully - we persuaded Malky's Dad to come this way with us rather than go all the way back along the ridge which is what he had done before. It may be that in the future he would revert to his original plan :lol:

Despite being steep, there is nothing difficult about the gully, and only a few places where hands are required. It was quite nice being in the shade as well 8)

Looking back up - better hope that big cliff doesn't fall over :shock:

Finally we were back on the circular path. Daddy Clark will probably never hill-walk with me again after the gully. But it makes a nice change to have rage aimed at me (as it's usually me cursing Malky as of late :lol: )

We were back in the sun and it was very hot. I was exhausted and had forgotten how much path was left still to go

As we came around the mountain it was fascinating to watch the profile of the hill change!

Sgurr an Fhidhleir

At this point we discovered that the midges were coming out in force as the wind had dropped. Despite having said he had the midge spray, it turned out that Malky didn't actually have it, and his Mum had taken the bottle that was out earlier. Disaster....

It was every man for himself - Malky and I got back to the car about 10 minutes ahead of his Dad, who it turned out had managed to fall into one of the bogs that we'd managed to hop over :lol:

We stopped 10 minutes down the road at Ardmair, where there was a nice breeze and we could all safely change footwear and drink some water before the drive home. I was so knackered that I think I passed out for most of it :lol:

Beinn Ghobhlach

A magical day out though 8)
Attachments

activity_5356004033.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland