walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Northern Corries - some hope at last?

Northern Corries - some hope at last?

Postby Jaxter » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:22 pm

Route description: Cairn Gorm and the northern corries

Date walked: 06/09/2020

Time taken: 5.16 hours

Distance: 11.64 km

Ascent: 774m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For a while I had been looking at the Northern Corries. After a long frustrating summer I was able (on a good day) to climb around 700m - this meant that a sort of truncated version of the Northern Corries might be possible, on a good day. With the 600m start that the Ski Centre car park gave, this would mean I would be able to get up high 8)

As always we started late (I really can't manage mornings at the moment) so the car park was busy when we arrived. But once we had walked around the corner the people seemed to disperse a lot and we were able to enjoy the views towards Loch Morlich

Ahead to Coire an Lochain

The stepping stones across the burn were a bit of a bottleneck so we got out of the way so I could play with my camera (any excuse for a break :lol: )

We finally managed to locate the path up onto the Fiacaill ridge (as it turns out, it's really obvious; Malky has just failed to find it every time so far :lol: )

Steep and boulders :shock: It was slow going!

Looking back to Loch Morlich and Meall a' Buachaille

Ben Wyvis in the background

Creag Meagaidh

Finally it felt like we were getting somewhere....

Coire an t-Sneachda

Ahead - the Fiacaill ridge itself

I was very tired so we stopped for lunch - the worst of the ascent was done; the last push to the plateau was the "fun" bit but in terms of height it wasn't much...

After enjoying a delicious lunch and some tea, we got going again. Looking back we could see people climbing up and down cliffs, presumably on climbing courses

Sgorr Gaoithe peeking out

We were now up against The Tricky Bit. Given that pretty much all I'd climbed recently had been small heathery lumps, my scrambling mojo was at an all time low....

I gave it a go, before Malky jumped ahead to show me where to go...

He then got to a bit where he thought my small arms would struggle. He was trying to describe it to me... I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get back down if I couldn't get up, so I decided that was enough. I slid my way back down and cut around the side.

I climbed down most of the route from the top to have a look - there was a family coming up behind Malky - maybe I'd manage it another time. Extra stress was the last thing I needed at the moment...

We did carry on up the ridge from there, and despite being awkward I made it up. The final climb (not dignified but I did it!)

And we were there - I'd made it onto the plateau. I was chuffed to bits 8)

Now on the plateau we could actually consider where to go next - we hadn't really discussed this beforehand as I wasn't sure I'd make it! Rather than follow the normal route, we decided to see if we could get a view down to Loch Avon. Malky assured me I wasn't dropping myself into a hole - if I couldn't manage the ascent to get out again, we could walk straight out down the other side of Cairn Lochan.

Carn Etchachan ahead

Stob Coire an t-Sneachda and Cairn Gorm

Back down the Fiacaill ridge

We were aiming for the lump above Hell's Lum crag - we tried to keep to the best ground without adding any extra height - today was going to be my biggest day Post-Covid without adding anything else :lol:

Views back to Cairn Gorm

Stacan Dubh (our highest camp yet) on Beinn Mheadhoin and Carn Etchachan

Ben Macdui

We crossed the Ben Macdui path and dropped a little above Hell's Lum and...boom - the views down to Loch Avon that we were after 8)

We had a short breather here, before deciding that I had enough in me to walk along the top of the cliffs, so we dropped to the burn (not as bad to cross as it looked!)

Shelter Stone crag and Carn Etchachan

There were traces of a path as we came around the corner

Snow!!

Incredible views 8)

We climbed the short distance to the top of Stag Rocks - there were a few climbers packing things away as we approached. The views across to Stacan Dubh and Beinn Mheadhoin were grand

Looking down a gully towards Carn Etchachan

We dropped over a few rocks to find a nice sheltered spot with some good views (shame about Malky :lol: )

Sunlight hitting the slabs at the head of Loch Avon

Loch Etchachan just visible

Trying to identify the Shelter Stone!

Beautiful Loch Avon 8)

Beinn Mheadhoin

Loch Avon

No actual summits today, but a fine spot for a Jaxter 8)

Now we had run out of food there were no more excuses for not carrying on. This was going to be the hard bit - climbing back out. We aimed for a rising traverse which would hopefully get the best ground and the shallowest ascent. Progress was not as bad as I'd thought 8)

Cairn Gorm - a mountain for another day

At last we had made the path! I was feeling my chest a little but nothing too bad. It was definitely enough for today though. A last glimpse of the impressive bits....

Coire an t-Sneachda

Fiacaill ridge and Cairn Lochan

From here it was a long weary descent...

Back at the car I was exhausted but absolutely chuffed to have managed it - my biggest day so far. I hoped I wouldn't pay for it... We bumped into David in the car park - he'd been out Bagging and hadn't wanted to walk with us as we didn't go near any summits :lol: But he did consent to join us for ice cream at Miele's in Aviemore before heading home 8)
Attachments

activity_5497641985.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland