walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creach Bheinn - Alpine conditions

Creach Bheinn - Alpine conditions

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:30 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Creach Bheinn (Morvern)

Date walked: 03/01/2021

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 29 km

Ascent: 800m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It has been a while since such a long cold ,settled spell of frosty weather has visited us here in West and something you could get well used to from the usual "uisge trom" (heavy rain)

With that in mind i decided a local hill was needed for Sunday's fine forecast and Creach Bheinn being only 10 mins up the glen seemed a fine choice.

I have been on this hill many times ,multiple routes and deviations are numerous the ridge onto Meall Odhar via Allt Coire nam Frithe Allt being a particular favourite. On this occasion i decided the a direct route making use of a hydro track behind Carnoch farm and which given the heavy snow would make the walk slightly easier once the snow line was reached at around 200m.

Tha sneachd gu leor a bh' ann ..there would be heavy snow , no doubt and for sure i was the first on the hill in 21'

IMG_4640.JPG
Creach Bheinn

Usually this route is wet and covers many glacan and torran holding deep wet pools of peaty water but today a good foot of soft powder snow with hard frozen ground beneath ..tiring but good for walking

IMG_4642.JPG
An slighe

We were headed for the bealach between Creach and Fuar bheinn which rises to the South of the Cùl Mhaim hoping to catch the sweep of the ridge to the summit with a wee bit less snow.

IMG_4646.JPG
An cù

IMG_4645.JPG
An druim

Abair sealladh ...grand views already and the snow well manageable but no less deep ,still no need for crampoons or axe given the depth and firm footing underneath the boot coping well .

IMG_4655.JPG
An rathad suas

We made slow but steady progress here mindful of the edge although no slab forming as yet with a southerly aspect tending to heft to the shallower west slopes. The Cìochan Duira (Jura Paps) were now beginning to appear over the ridges to the south / south west

IMG_4667.JPG
Cìochan Duira

and to Beinn Resipole ....

IMG_4668.JPG
Beinn Resipole

The route up continues to be steep following a wee south running ridge however no major issues just a care to watch the foot ..... grand views now down the Linnhe Seileach to na h-eileanan a ' Deas and Eilean Muile.

IMG_4674.JPG
Streap

IMG_4678.JPG
Na h -eileanan

IMG_4680.JPG
Muile

We finally reach the summit with a steady NE blowing to about 25mph however a fair bit of shelter from the large summit càrn and some bit heat from the sun allowed us some time on the summit

IMG_4688.JPG
Am Mullach

From the summit here , extensive views all round and the sky clear but with some heavier cloud to the North /North West which added to the atmosphere

IMG_4689.JPG
Loch Abar agus an Beinn

To the wet Beinn Mòr on Mull was holding a wee bit cloud as was Beinn Resipole to the West ....abair dathan !

IMG_4693.JPG
Beinn Mòr Mhuile

IMG_4696.JPG
Muile a' rhibhist

IMG_4697.JPG
Eilean Eige agus Resipole

We even managed a zoom shot of the Ben in the bitter wind :) and with some striking color contrasts to the west where the Cuilthionn were poking through some racing cloud cover heading out to the eventual Atlantic

IMG_4700.JPG
Beinn Neibhis

IMG_4704.JPG
Na Cuilthionn

IMG_4713.JPG
Sgoth

At this stage i had a choice to make whether to go down past the Colby camp and onto Meall Odhar (S/SE) ridges and then phone my good lady to pick me up in Glen Tarbet or head back West the way i came maybe taking in the wee west top of Glas Bheinn 626m above the bealach Coire a Ciùil Mhaim then catching the last of the light from the the sun which at 2pm was already dropping fast ... and that was our choice in the end

IMG_4778.JPG
An rathad sios

IMG_4780.JPG
Garbh Bheinn agus Creach Bheinn

This proved a very considerate choice as we were treated to amazing Alpin glows with the sun fast sinking to the west behind Eilean Muile

IMG_4796.JPG
Dathan

IMG_4804.JPG
Dol fodha na greine agus an cù

IMG_4801.JPG
An Càrn

IMG_4808.JPG
A dha

The tactic for finishing on this wee torran west of Glas Bheinn was that for to catch the sundown and also to link onto another hydro track located west of the Allt na Crìche and around 300m down from this 626m unnamed top and which then leads you down a further 300m of steep but metaled track and onto the A884 Carnoch - Lochaline road.

Before that descent i took one last pic of the sun setting over Eilean Muile

IMG_4809.JPG
Dol fodha na Greine , Eilean Muile

All that was left was to drop down and get the devil in the kitchen to pick me up :wink: ..... a fine end to a fine day .

Anail a Ghaidheil, air a mhullach!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland