walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My 1st report on the 1st of 21st

My 1st report on the 1st of 21st

Postby Tasha87 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:01 pm

Route description: Ciste Dhubh and Am Bathach, Cluanie

Corbetts included on this walk: Am Bathach

Date walked: 01/01/2021

Time taken: 4.75 hours

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first report on WH just has to start with a fantastic snowy walk on the 1st day of the new year :wink:
I've been following the website for just over a year and I'm so grateful to everyone for fabulous ideas and recommendations. I'm not very confident at writing and English being my second language doesn't make it easier. However, since I do all walks on my own I often feel the need to share my thoughts, sightings and beautiful experiences; otherwise they'll just stay inside me forever.

Being a fair weather walker made me take forecasters' advice to follow the sunshine in Kintail area. We've been blessed with heaps of fresh snow before the New Year's so I decided to stick to something lower - Am Bathach it is. Plus, there was a possibility of extending to Ciste Dhubh if it stays out of clouds and if I'm fast enough. None of which happened :wink:

Early drive on icy roads paid off with sightings of deer, a pine marten and a fox and with a view over bright full moon above the Brothers of Kintail. I was walking on fresh white powder from the first step. Having the privilege (and the hard work!) of being the first one on the hill I only followed the footprints of mountain hares. Some led me zig-zag and some straight up the steep ridge; I wonder what they were heading for? :think:
I experienced a wonderful misty first sunrise of 2021 reflecting on the clouds and Loch Cluanie. Happy New Year, beautiful world!

The ground was getting steeper and the snow deeper. I enjoyed the challenge of thinking about every next step and how deep my feet are going to sink :) As demanding as walking in the snow can be, I love the endurance and there's also something very relaxing and mind clearing about it. Just what we need after a tough year.
The cloud came over me for a while with gentle light snow. Skiing goggles on and I could see clearly again. As soon as I reached the ridge the clouds started lifting and the views over neighbouring mountains were breath-taking. Pure white munros of Glen Shiel everywhere I looked made me feel like being in Scottish Himalayas :D
However, Ciste Dhubh was still in clouds and by that point I knew I'll have enough snow walking for the day so I'll save it for another time. I took my time on the ridge trying to take in the beauty and peace of whiteness. The ascent onto the true summit of Am Bathach was steep and the edge of the ridge was covered with a very thick layer of wind blown snow so I walked just slightly on the eastern side of it. There was no real need for an ice axe as the snow was anything from icy, however, I wanted to have a little play with my new piece of gear. It sure helped me pull myself out of deep snow several times where the long hiking poles would be just too awkward.
Windy summit and quick photos while admiring views in all directions.
I absolutely love running down a steep snowy slope so I was on the col in no time. The rest of the way down into An Caorann Mor was quite slow going due to soft snow and bushy heather underneath. It just made me stop and look back and up Ciste Dhubh which was now clearing up. Its sharp ridge looked impressive and once again I felt like I was transported to the Himalayas.
I stopped by the still stream for lunch before making my way onto the first track of the day, although even that only showed animal footprints for most of the way. I kept on looking back, up and all around this fairy-tale land. I reached the road way too soon.

There were only three other cars parked at the lay-by. I met a friendly guy who followed my footsteps up the corbett.
I was in no rush leaving Glen Shiel but the scenic way back towards Beauly wasn't too bad after all. Besides, I spotted a bird which I've decided was a golden eagle (or the biggest buzzard I've ever seen) :D

What a fantastic adventure! Snow, wildlife, peace, unforgettable views and feelings of joy.
They say that the year is going to be a reflection of one's New Year's day. In that case, I'm ready.
Attachments
DSC01329.JPG
The first sunrise of 2021; Loch Cluanie
IMG_20210101_094336.jpg
Sunrise panorama
IMG_20210101_101026.jpg
In the cloud for a wee while
IMG_20210101_103246.jpg
Fantastic view over the ridge and all around
DSC01348.JPG
Looking west towards Brothers ridge
IMG_20210101_110708.jpg
Deep white
DSC01351.JPG
Amazing final ascent
DSC01353.JPG
Always look back!
DSC01362.JPG
The sharp ridge of Ciste Dhubh starting to peek out
DSC01368.JPG
Pleasant sunny walk out
DSC01371.JPG
Looking back
DSC01373.JPG
Looking down Glen Shiel. What a day!
Tasha87
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   Corbetts:14
Fionas:11   
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Re: My 1st report on the 1st of 21st

Postby R1ggered » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:04 pm

Well done. Great report. :clap: :clap:
R1ggered
Mountain Walker

Munros:175   

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:01 pm

Well done on your first TR and what a superb set of photos! :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Verylatestarter » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:31 pm

That's great i look forward to many more from you.

John
Verylatestarter
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   
Islands:5

Postby Tasha87 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:52 pm

Thanks everyone :angel:
Positive feedback is going to be great motivation to look at my past walks and do more reflective writing :wink:
Tasha87
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   Corbetts:14
Fionas:11   
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:40 am

Thanks for posting - fantastic photos and an enjoyable write-up!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland